Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Has Anyone installed a standard aftermarket CB in a Fairing?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2011, 05:06 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Has Anyone installed a standard aftermarket CB in a Fairing?

Did a diligent search that yielded no results...

I have a 2008 FLHTP (police model Electra Glide). I have changed out the police handlebar controls and fairing interconnect harness to the civilian counterparts. I have also added cruise control. Was looking to further civilianize the bike by adding a stereo and / or CB, but to add the OEM stereo / CB combination would cost some big bucks...

I am thinking I can live without the stereo, but would really like to have a CB to be able to talk with other group riders... I don't want a handlerbar mount setup, since I have a hole in the fairing where a radio can be placed.

Has anyone ever installed a standard aftermarket (i..e. - Cobra 29 series) CB radio in a FLHT fairing? Any disadvantages to such a setup?

Seems like this would be the cheapest route... I assume I could adapt the PTT handlebar controls to work such a radio and a headset mike... any thoughts / experiences / suggestions? TIA!

Old 02-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Give Clay's Radio Shop a call; he probably knows more about CB generally, and HD's specifically than anyone you're likely to find. Very good guy and willing to provide advice and suggestions:

http://www.claysradioshop.com/

I used a Midland handheld CB with the headset/mic which was okay; then tried a Cobra hand held CB with everything in the microphone and that was okay. Both were not very tidy and ended up installing the HK radio;HD CB module; and, Boom Audio Music and Intercom Kit, p/n 77108-09 to have the current Ultra style HD system on my '04. Fortunately, I was able to get some extraordinary deals on the hardware to reduce the cost to just under 1/2 HD's retail prices, but that was still a fair amount of $$$.

Sierra Electronics, Chatterbox, and others offer motorcycle CB products that are worth exploring. As for usng the handlebar PTT switch and headset/mic with an automotive CB may prove challenging.

Give Clay a call; it will be well worth you time.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 02-05-2011 at 07:58 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 05:44 PM
rushbass
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the tips Carl... BTW, great looking police bike conversion you have there!

Of course, it would be nice to do the full OEM HD setup like you did - I have also looked at used units, but even then they are still priced very high (maybe I need to keep looking). Plus I have heard that the HK radios don't hold up too well. Have you had any issues with yours?

Last edited by rushbass; 02-05-2011 at 05:47 PM.
Old 02-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Rat1
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just get everyone in your group to get them GMRS/ FRS two way comunicators with the vox headsets and be done with it. You will see line of sight range that is more then double what you will get out of a CB on a motorcycle. Reason being is antenna choices and available groundplane. It takes a 300 watt CB setup to come close to matching what these little comunicators are capable of for local transmissions. I am big into CBs. I drive a truck for a living and have a thing for CBs. Well not all of them are CBs, some of my radios are 10 meter export radios converted for CB use. My exports range in output of 50 watts to over 250 watts. I had a Connex 4300-300 but it got ripped off. Also have many regular CBs such as cobra 25s, 29, 148s, along with a few Uniden models such as the 68 and 78.

I would love to see the trucking population go the way of GMRS/FRS. We would litterally have hundreds of different channel combinations to use and beable to comunicate 30 plus miles with only a 1/2 foot long antenna in the center of the roof rather then these 5 to 7 ft antennas we use now.

Old 02-05-2011, 08:24 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

rushbass,

No, I haven't had any issues. As for price, saw and HK go for $375 here in the classifieds this week; it was from a 2010 RG IIRC. For the rider, the only "parts' you need are: HK radio; CB module; PTT switch; and, rider headset connector. The wiring can be inexpensively fabbed using HD parts for the connectors.

A buddy of mine installed an automotive CB in a Fat Bob saddlebag and, according to him, it worked fine. I don't recall how he wired it for receive and transmit; and, he sold the bike last year and purchased a new Ultra.

Carl