Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are The Lower Fairings worth buying?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 09:37 AM
MyClassic09
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

though the chicago harley is a thought

Old 02-16-2011, 09:48 AM
bikehe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My lowers carry an air compressor, tyre plug kit, air pressure guage and a few other items. In the cold, wet they definately are worth it. As others have mentioned just open the vents in summer. I really like mine and wouldnt have an EG without them as theyre great for storage.

Old 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just from using soft lowers I can tell you the difference in the cold, rain and highway speeds is huge. The soft lowers do make it hot in the summer but would think the vented hard lowers would be better.

Plan to order some for mine

Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by MyClassic09
But just wanting to know if they are worth it riding?
I installed mine three years ago and would not want to be without them, especially in winter.

do you keep on always?
Yes. I bought the quick-release kit from HD but it was a waste of money, as to date I've never removed the lowers and don't expect to in the future.

I have 90+ days in summer would I take them off?
Not a problem for me in S. LA where it gets very hot and humid. It is seldom that I have a thought to remove them even though it's fairly quick and easy, but any such idea is outweighed by the protection I get from the rain and not having my pant-leg flap against my leg while riding. Similarly, I also have a rare temptation to ride without a windshield, which I could do very easily on my old RK, but I wouldn't go back to that format and be without gauges and stereo.

FWIW, I hear some claims that lowers increase engine temperatures, but this goes against my experience and HD's claims. HD is on record of stating that they actually improve cooling while moving but may trap hot air when stationary and increase temperatures in traffic. I've found that my bike runs slightly cooler (~5° oil-temp) while moving, but I haven't noticed any change while in traffic based on head and oil temperatures. Also, I haven't noticed any change in gas mileage except when the vents are closed, in which case mileage decreases 2-3mpg. In this case my fairing air-deflectors are also normally closed as well and it's the combination that affects mileage, IMO.

Last edited by iclick; 02-16-2011 at 05:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2011, 10:49 AM
E N AZ
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will not take mine off. I have had a couple of rocks bounce off of them at very high speed (the kind that will break car windshields) and was glad they were there. It would be cooler in the summer, but I will trade the extra air for the extra protection.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
bberck
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have been debating on what to buy next but I think this thread talked me into buying the lowers.

Old 02-16-2011, 11:26 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 63 Posts

Never take them off, you never know when you'll get caught in rain. When its warm I just open the adjustable vents. Wouldn't own a bike without them again, they really cut down on buffeting and turbulence.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:03 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an Electra Glide Classic without them and the Ultra now with them. I like with a lot better.

On warm days I open the vents and have had no heat problems. I do not live in a particularly hot area but I have ridden on 90°+ days and was not uncomfortable. On cooler days my legs stay a lot warmer with them closed.

I have not seen any data on the engine running hotter or cooler with or without the lowers other than anecdotal comments. If you look at the way the vented lowers are shaped, they look like they would help funnel more air to the engine.

If my bike did not have them I would seriously consider adding them.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:37 PM
StreetGlider57
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an after market brand (Hogg Chops). For me the big difference is the reduction in cold air passing over my legs. Plus I like the way they look. Worth it? Yes.

Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM
MSgt Rose
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really like the lowers and would never take them off.

Quick Reply: Are The Lower Fairings worth buying?