Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First time rider

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2005, 01:33 AM
harleybiker
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time rider

I have my heart set on a new Road King and having passed the riders course and received my license I was wondering what your take is on this being a bike for a first timer? Thanks.

hb

Old 06-28-2005, 01:53 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: First time rider

hb,

If you feel confident get what you want. You might have to start out riding in parking lots at night until you get used to it but go for it. I taught an old friend how to ride on a full dress harley about 20 yrs ago. If you start out with something smaller you will just end up trading in a few months and lose money.

Terry

Old 06-28-2005, 02:19 AM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I feel that if you have your heart set on a new RK than go for it and just take it easy until you gain more seat time and confidence. I guarantee that you will get better with time and practice. Enjoy the ride.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:37 AM
ochog
Intermediate

Go for it! Got my first-timer RK Classic last October and have 7500 miles on it. It gets better every day! Just put 1100 miles on it the last three days. Southern Ca to Yosemite on Thurs, over Tioga Pass to Mammoth for lunch and back on Friday and back home on Saturday. I just wonder why it took so long to get it!

Old 06-28-2005, 03:01 AM
AceArt
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to play Devil's Advocate here and go against the grain and tell you to either get a smaller bike or get both. My thinking is that if you've never ridden before, 2 tings are going to happen if you go straight to a RK. One is that you will never experience the fun of a small bike nor the carefree attitude you can have with a cheap bike. The 2nd is that when you get your new RK, you're going to be scared to death of doing something which will damage your new $20,000 bike. More scared for your bike than you are for yourself.
This is, at least, been my experience. I had not ridden a bike for over 20 years and then I got my first Harley. The thing intimidated me to death. I couldn't stand the thought of putting a scratch on her or doing something embarrassing. I found an '81 Honda CM400 w/ 7800 original miles on her. Ridden every year, fluids changed every year, but only ridden for about 300 miles a year. The owner found out that it needed new tires (dry rot after only 24 years). I got it woth new tires for $850. Used it for parking lot practice, skills testing (like the box) and short 5 - 15 mile trips around town. Got comfortable on her and then was comfortable on my Dyna Glide. I'm now in the precess of selling the Honda for the same $850 I paid for her. Since I spent some enjoyable hoours cleaning her up, changing plugs, lubing cables, carb cleaner, gas additive, etc., I'm prob. out $30 plus the sales tax, but as a plus, I've gotten my best friend back into riding.
Basically, what I did with the little Honda was 3 weeks of MSF, but in the excitement of getting a large bike, I forgot how much fun I had on the smaller Honda's that I had grown up on. It was a blast! and carefree.
In total honesty, what everyone else has said is very true. You will get used to the RK and you'll love it and never be really satisfied with something else. but there a ;ot of nice smaller, fun imports out there for under 2 grand and worst ccase scenario, is that if you buy it right, you'll have to keep it til next spring and then sell it for about what you paid for it and have some fun and get a little experience wrenching. BTW, my 2nd bike raised my insurance by a whopping $42 a year.
Best wishes whatever you decide. Art

Old 06-28-2005, 01:51 PM
cbrunson
Tourer

I’m with Art. A RK is a big beast to learn on. Besides the fact that it takes three guys to stand it up if it tips over.

Old 06-28-2005, 02:35 PM
cbro69
Cruiser

I got a RK as a first bike. Was very careful, (intimidated) for awhile. Rode a lot of back roads. Been riding now for 2 years. Feel that the RK was the best choice for me, but wish I had started on something smaller. Took MSF course last month and feel even better. I'm going back for the experienced course in a few months.

Old 06-29-2005, 12:12 AM
Kess
Outstanding HDF Member

I went back and read some of your other posts - You have been doing the right stuff and asking about the various bikes in the line. Figure it out take your time and you will be fine- Get what you want and do not settle for something else but I gotta say in hindsight I like Art's approach - If you are truly set on an RK then get it but it would be very cool to drop less than 1K on something you could beat around a bit - Even with the duel insurance costs you would still come out ahead then if you buy an HD you regret and then trade up- Good luck and let us know what you decide

Old 06-29-2005, 10:09 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

It really depends on your experience and confidence level. My first roadbike is my roadking. However, I had grown up riding dirt bikes/atv's. Im 5'7" 145lbs, and the roadking is alot of bike, but I got use to mine. Now she sports 16" apehangers, and 55,000miles. You could say I use it somewhat. Good luck.

Old 06-29-2005, 04:17 PM
Matt8643
Road Captain

I had never ridden a bike before and I passed the MSF about 2 months ago. I also was in the same dilemma as you. I am 5'5' and weigh 185. I had my heart set on a RK Custom, but was unsure of my ability to handle such a large bike due to my inexperience and my size. Almost all my buddies told me the same thing. Buy the bike I wanted because I would grow tired of a smaller bike as soon as I became proficient riding it. I took their advice and bought the RK Custom-and I must say I am extremely happy I did not get a smaller bike to begin with. I have become very comfortable on it and it rides great. I also did invest in a Motorman DVD to see how large bikes can be handled with skill at low speeds. I would recommend this if you are worried about the size of the bike. I have practiced lifting my bike up from both sides and can do it as demonstrated by Motorman with no problem-luckily I have not dropped it in the real world! I practiced in parking lots and small industrial areas at night and on the weekends and felt comfortable after a few days of riding. Now it is my main mode of transportation about town when I am home from work. I have been riding it everyday for more than a month now, and I still smile everytime I get on it! Just my own personal story-hope it helps you in your decision making process.
~Matt

Quick Reply: First time rider