Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review-Klock Werks Billboard Flare-Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Review-Klock Werks Billboard Flare-Road King

After reading a favorable review of the Klock Werks Billboard Flare on another forum I put one on my Christmas list. Santa was good to me and I received the windshield.

I've only been out about 6 times since I put the windshield on but the results have been all good. In the review I read what swayed me was how the writer said the windshield deflected the wind from your hands. He was right, very little if any wind on your hands, I can ride longer before I feel the colder temperatures. I've been out a few times with the temps in the mid 40's wearing what I call my mid weight gloves ( long gauntlet but no liner or insulation ) and I can easily go an hour before starting to feel uncomfortable. With the stock windshield I would have automatically put on my Gerbings whether I had plugged them in or not.

Size wise, the billboard is about 1/2" shorter than the stock RK windshield and about 3" wider. Measuring across the horizontal mounting holes it's 26-1/2" wide. It's got a slight "flare at the top and another on the sides just about where the passing lights are. If you go to the K-W web site and view the video they'll explain to you how this windshield was designed in one of the wind tunnels in Mooresville, NC to add about 15 lbs of downforce on the front end at highway speed.

I've only been on the interstate once but I did make a point to get up behind a 18-wheeler. The buffeting I would usually feel was reduced quite a bit. You could still feel some but not near as much as with the stock windshield. I'll credit this to the extra down force. I'll be riding to work tomorrow ( 35 miles up the interstate ) so I'll give it a better test but I expect the same good results.

I notice no change in buffeting at my helmet, still calm like before.

I initially went to the K-W web site looking for measurements, primarily the height so I could compare the line of sight to the stock windshield. No measurements on their site so I filled out the request for more info. In less than two hours I got a call back. I was impressed.

Here's a few pics. Kinda hard to really see much, windshield is clear and it's a bright sunny day.

I'm happy with this purchase and recommend it to anyone with a RK. If you shop the web you can save about 10% over what you would pay buying direct from Klock Werks.

Old 02-17-2011, 10:28 PM
motordog
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review. I like the shield and think with the flair it will work a bit better than the stock with apes.

Old 02-17-2011, 11:04 PM
bbb
Cruiser

I also got mine about a month ago but will have to wait at least another month to test it...like the way it looks though

Old 02-18-2011, 05:20 PM
slyder
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bought mine last month but havent been able to ride yet.....maybe next week.

Old 02-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Twillis
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Even though I have an FXST now with the HD windshield, I am really watching the reviews on these windshields, because I really want to hear that they help with buffeting and the air coming from below as well as above. I have always had to wear a strap on my riding glasses, even when I rode my RK Custom with windshield. Keep us posted.

Old 07-07-2011, 10:43 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd love to try one of these shields out but most dealers only have the demo units for the SG....200 bucks is an expensive experiment

Old 07-07-2011, 11:08 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My neighbor has one on his '01 Heritage Springer; he does say it adds extra down force on the front end on the highway. Looks good to boot.

Old 07-26-2014, 06:25 AM
islandgrump
Stage I
Default Second windshield

My first shield was on my 2012 Ultra. I loved that bike and the windshield did just what it was supposed to do. Now I have a 2013 Road King Classic. Just put the shield on and so far the jury is still out. It seems to be doing the job, but I need to hit the interstate for a true test. I am 5'7" and I have the standard 16 1/2 inch smoke. It looks great with the white hot pearl.
Ride safe 💀👍

Old 07-26-2014, 10:37 AM
SDVmnt
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Props to having your first post resurrect a 3 year old thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:58 AM
gartec81
Grand HDF Member
Received 849 Likes on 373 Posts

go go gadget internet police.... i wonder what its like for someone 6'4 on buffeting

The following users liked this post:
Campy Roadie (10-23-2016)

Quick Reply: Review-Klock Werks Billboard Flare-Road King