Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gravel Roads

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 01:56 PM
rstekeur
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Build a car wash at the end of the street

Old 02-18-2011, 02:22 PM
CWDoc115
Outstanding HDF Member

When I was a small child, the new neighborhood near my grandmother's house was being built, the road was gravel for the longest time and five days a week a tanker truck would traverse the road spraying it down with water ( not enough to make mud puddles ) to kill the dust until they finally paved the road.

Last edited by CWDoc115; 02-18-2011 at 02:23 PM. Reason: typo
Old 02-18-2011, 02:34 PM
d2jlking
Tourer

I have this problem in Minnesota too, but I just go slow, and try not to let it bother me when i hear those rocks hitting the bike. I just keep saying "i bought it to ride it not wash it". A paved road would be great, but the 0.5 mile trip gives the bike a chance to warm up before I hit the highway, so whatever, I feel your pain.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:47 PM
Sallyman
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have about 450ft of gravel before I hit blacktop. I feel your pain as well but I think they will get dusty anyway. I usually wash after every ride. I use a clean swiffer often and works well.

Old 02-18-2011, 02:56 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you complain enough, maybe they'll oil it for you.

Old 02-18-2011, 03:43 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 06BlueRam
I live two mile down gravel road before I get to blacktop. No matter how clean the bike is before leaving it is coverd with dust when I get to the road. Are there any of you with this problem and what do you do? Riding to work I just leave it dusty but after a week its really bad. Going out with friends I hit a car wash first, which I'm not real fond of and don't want to just dust it off for fear of scratches.
you have go to be kidding me.....what answer are you looking for about dust on your bike?

Old 02-18-2011, 04:24 PM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by 06BlueRam
Rickr01 I no what you mean about the loose gravel. Our grader operater thinks he needs to run over the road about twice a month and sometimes three. has far as living on the the farm couldn't be better. Bikes a 09 EGC maybe i'll baby it a few more years the go rat bike and not worry any more.
Thought about the duster but didn't know if it would scratch paint. Guess i'll keep hit car wash and lightly spray the bike down and wipe it off before the ride. Thanks for the replys
How well do you know the grader operator or somebody in the town government? Is it a small town. Grading a road that often is a waste of the towns money, and doesn't allow the road to pack, creating mud and all sorts of issues when it rains etc. Maybe you can chat with them? I'm sure there are other residents that don't appreciate having their rigs peppered with stone and mud etc. when it is not necessary. Our town used to chloride our road in the summer to keep down the dust. That sheit was in every nook and cranny and very corrosive. I spoke to my neighbors and they all agreed that they didn't like it and would rather have the dust, particularly since all of our houses are so far off the road. It was a waste of money. The town was thrilled not to have to lay that crap on our road anymore. Sometimes the town assumes what people want. In some cases they are wrong! I wouldn't use the duster. That grit is different than road dust. I'd wash when I get home and live with it.

Last edited by Rickr01; 02-18-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:40 PM
softone
Cruiser

Every Christmas I gave our town snow plow person a couple cases of beer. Always had a snow-cleared driveway where it hit the road after that. Maybe you could "bribe" your town person to lay tanker-water down or ? I'm just getting your wheels turning.
ps/ We also have a 1/4 mile gravel driveway before we hit concrete. We make a path on the grass. But we also have to wash the bikes more often. So it goes....

Old 02-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I lived 3 miles on a gravel road before I hit pavemnet for 42 years. I never had anything clean until I moved to town.
It sucks yes. Be thankful you don't have a chain driven bike (that I had to oil the chain constanly) like I had for all those years.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:12 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know what you mean about dirt roads, it's nearly a mile to the hard pack from my 10 acres go slow is about all you can do...I thought about one of those dusters but it would be full of grit in a months time lol! would'nt trade my land for hardpack though, sooner or later they'll pave it I figure!

Quick Reply: Gravel Roads