Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Wheel Off Center... Response From MOCO... Horrible!

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:29 PM
jasnusc
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear Wheel Off Center... Response From MOCO... Horrible!

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...reetglide.html

So after 3 months of working with my dealer and MOCO I finally got an answer.
  • MOCO engineers confirmed that the 09 frame is NOT SUPPOSED TO HAVE ANY OFFSET between the front and rear wheel.
  • This information was relayed to me via my assigned factory MOCO test rider and my local dealership service Mgr.
  • The service department used their own method of measurement and confirmed my rear wheel is offset to one side.
  • I performed my own measurements, supplied those measurements and photos showing proof of the offset to MOCO and the dealer.

Final Answer.... They are not going to do anything about it!

The engineers said the way that both their dealer measured it and the way I am measuring it is not accurate enough. Even though both of our measurements prove the same result and my measurement comes out within 3 thousands of an inch every time I do it. Since they dont agree with the form of measurement either of us are using they say there is no proof of an offset.

I asked if they will measure it the "correct way" and they said No. There is no formal procedure for measuring for offset in an 09 frame.

So they will not accept any form of measurement taken by anybody not even their own dealer and they wont provide a method of measurement to prove it is off.

I asked if they will put their findings and final decision in writing and I was told NO.

WTF !!!!!!

I told the dealer I was going to call MOCO and he said NO. He said they dont want to talk to me and I have to talk to him only. He said "we can talk till we are blue in the face and it wont change anything"!

Of course I am going to call them monday morning, write letters and file a lawsuit if necessary.

I have been riding since I was 16, owned and built many bikes but This was my first harley and now it might be my last.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

How much is the offset?

Old 02-18-2011, 08:06 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Its only 1/4"

Old 02-18-2011, 08:25 PM
2000FiveOh
Tourer

I bet you'd be surprised how many Harley's, new and old, have been going down the road 1/4" off for decades. What exactly is this 1/4" doing negatively to the bike? I think you're stepping over quarters to pick up dimes on this one. How many Fatboy's are going down the road with a KNOWN offset? If it bothers you that much have someone machine you up some spacers if your belt will stay true. Or have your dealer start measuring every 09 that comes in...that won't happen. You say your measurements are within .003...just how are you coming up with that? A beam coming off a level has to be 1/16, maybe an 1/8" and that seems to be the standard to set these things up. I'm not trying to be a smartazz but I think you're worrying way too much about this.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:29 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

I agree. If you are as experienced as you say, and since you will get no help from either the dealer or HD, then why don't you just have a machine shop mill a spacer to your specifications? Seems like an easy and inexpensive way to allow you to get a good night's sleep.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:44 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Well.... Some Harleys are offset 1/2 inch on purpose and I am well aware of it. I specifically bought the 09 because of the frame improvements hence my previous statement that this is my first Harley.
I can feel the offset when I ride which prompted me to measure it and confirm I was right.
While I work on MOCO I will start measuring to determine what the problem is. Could be the entire engine tranny and swingarm assy is off in the frame? Could be an axle spacing issue. Don't need a machine shop I have a lathe and the ability to cut spacers if I need to.
Believe me I have thought of just fixing it myself but now its a matter of principle.
If I thought I was going to have to start machining my new Harley I wouldn't have bought it.

Harley needs to step up and fix the problem

No they should Want To Fix It.

Last edited by jasnusc; 02-18-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:55 PM
albngore
Road Master
Received 51 Likes on 33 Posts

Relax and take a few deep breaths. If you find that in fact there is some swingarm assembly error then by all means pursue a remedy through HD. Unlikely as this might be if it is HD's fault then the dealer must make it right.

However, it seems to me that if the secondary drive belt assembly from the primary to the rear sprocket is in a "true" orientation, then it cannot be a swingarm misalignment. Seems to me that belt alignment is the place to start. If that important issue is as it should be, then all you have left is the axle spacers, unless there is some esoteric issue I am completely overlooking.

Old 02-18-2011, 08:59 PM
GPHDXLC
Grand HDF Member
Received 345 Likes on 238 Posts

If you don't have any handling issues and it leans left and right about the same in turns, then I don't see what the big deal is. If it's causing some serious handling problems then that's different. I know it can be frustrating when the MoCo won't help on odd things like this, but I think most all manufactures are the same on things like this. If this is the only problem you have with your bike, then just try to relax a bit and enjoy your Harley.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:10 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

Originally Posted by 2000FiveOh
You say your measurements are within .003...just how are you coming up with that?.
Vernier Calipers and 2 Straight Edge checked against each other 1st using feeler gauges to confirm its not warped..... Pretty simple actually. Might have been .005 or .008 my notes are in the garage I havent looked at them for 2 months. Back then I measured the rims, hubs, rotors, spacers etc....

Your right on about the laser. I always say when I build bikes I make them perfectly aligned but technically they are only as perfect as the thicknes of the laser!

Im stubborn so I think Im going to fight with MOCO a little first before I give up.

Old 02-18-2011, 09:15 PM
jasnusc
Road Master

I do experience handling issues which is what started this whole journey. I can feel the bike fall of plane when rolling into corners and out of corners. It feels different rolling into a left turn than a right. You can really feel it at about 70mph with cruise on. Whole bike feels twisted. I've riden bikes with 3/4 inch offset built by friends w/out a clue. Those feel crazy this is much more subtle but I can still feel it.

The first MOCO employee I talked to told me it was Impossible to feel an offset of 1/4". I told him to explain to me how it is that I was riding my bike and thought "It feels like my rear wheel is offset to the right a little bit" than measured it and confirmed I was right. He didnt have an answer. LOL

I was pretty pissed off earlier today but I have taken several deep breaths and vented to some buddies Im pretty calm now.

Just dissapointed thats all.

Heard great things about Harley which is why I bought one It pisses me off they confirmed I have a problem with my bike but wont do anything about it.

No Bueno....

Last edited by jasnusc; 02-18-2011 at 09:18 PM.

Quick Reply: Rear Wheel Off Center... Response From MOCO... Horrible!