Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Water is speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:36 PM
d2jlking
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mine fogs up too. I'm not gonna worry unless it becomes so bad that I can't see the gauge. Then, I'll put in an aftermarket speedo/tach combo, not sure why HD doesn't make that stock on the RKC anyway.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
oldhippie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 114 Likes on 67 Posts

There are certain things about a HD that just plain suck, but we love them anyway. This was one for me. Another was the lack of a hydraulic clutch on such a top end bike as a EGC or Ultra. Or, how about double walled pipes from the factory, instead of these cheapy heat shields and all of the shake rattle and roll that goes with them?

On the other hand, HD has a better kickstand. You've never seen a locking kickstand on a Honda.

It's just stuff that is different from one Manufacturer to another. The fact that we can't get guages that don't fog up is astounding. How hard can it be?

Old 03-02-2011, 05:54 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

My old bike FLHT STD 07 had similar problems. I had a few crotch rockets & they all did the same thing.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 PM
Wonderbob
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've never won anything. But I guess I'm a winner now! I've had three HD scooters none of them had the foggy/leaky gauge issue.....At least so far.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:53 PM
smithbrl
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Mine fogs up sometimes. I can't tell you what the conditions are that cause it. It's not so bad that I can't read the gauges. It clears up after a while. I haven't seen any ill effects on the gauges from it.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:02 PM
J-Rod75
Cruiser

I posted already and also saw that a few people said that the situation with the condensation in your guages is normal...went to do some paperwork on my new SG and asked the salesman and service manager about this particular situation...both said, "um...that isn't supposed to happen...if it does...just bring it in and we'll change em out under warranty--guaranteed". I'd talk to your dealer again...

Old 03-03-2011, 01:22 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Talking I deed, I deed already....

Originally Posted by J-Rod75
I posted already and also saw that a few people said that the situation with the condensation in your guages is normal...went to do some paperwork on my new SG and asked the salesman and service manager about this particular situation...both said, "um...that isn't supposed to happen...if it does...just bring it in and we'll change em out under warranty--guaranteed". I'd talk to your dealer again...
Well that is exactly what my service manager said too...

"They are not supposed to do that, but they do, and HD is aware of it, so bring it in and we will replace." and they have - all of mine, now twice, and the ones that are new, do the same thing.

Sounds to me like HD is aware of it - yet for some reason won't fix/correct/design newer ones... doesn't mke ANY sense to me, really.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:40 PM
J-Rod75
Cruiser

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
Sounds to me like HD is aware of it - yet for some reason won't fix/correct/design newer ones... doesn't mke ANY sense to me, really.

Absolutely.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:43 PM
thehueg
Cruiser

This is normal to Harley. My BMW's never do this. Harley offers an inferior gauge set up and passes it off as "normal". Manufacturer's who really believe this will see others who understand true quality pass them by. GM told buyers throughout the '70's to take it or leave it-customers left it ultimately. It's a shame HD can't learn from the mistakes of others!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:42 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

So, aside from these Medallion Gauge Kits at J&P - anyone have any other suggestions, links, prices on other gauges to choose from?

Quick Reply: Water is speedometer