Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low RPM stumble after SE-255 cam install - will this tune out or did I F-up?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 11:49 AM
scj
Road Warrior
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts

If you want, pm me and I'll give you my email address so you can send me the TTS map thats in your bike. I'll look at it to see if anything is noticeably out of whack.

I am not an expert but I do have success programming my bike and a couple of my riding buds bikes.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM
editbrain
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't think he is using TTS. I think it is SEPST.

Old 03-18-2011, 04:29 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the same setup, an am currently using the same map. Make sure you using the stock spark plugs when your using the Smartune. What you want to do i load the stage 2 map again without any changes. When you reload the map again make sure you check the boxes for "Reset adaptive fuel", and "Enable Smartune reflash". This will erase any fuel adaptations made by the ECM and also change the map so that most cells are 14.6:1 AFR with 720MV Close Loop bias. You want to do 4 short runs, no more than 4 or 5 miles while recording with the VCI. The Smartune reflash map is a hot map so this is why you dont want to run the bike too long on this map. Get back run the recordings with the smartune and update the VE tables. This should add fuel to the higher rpms and take some away in the lower rpm, it sounds like you have a ignition timing or valve timing issue. The Stage 2 103map should take away 3to5 degrees timing in the low RPM areas and at 2 to 3 degrees in the higher 2500rpm and above. look at your timing tables to confirm if not its the wrong 103map, note that there is a high compression 103map that runs more retarded timing maps. If the bike ran fine with the stage 1 map and had a little pinging your cams are lined up correctly. Try adjusting timing in the problem areas and this should fix your problem if your running too much timing and not enough fuel it will hesitate if you run too little timing and too much fuel it will hesitate also. Use you knock sensor graph as a tool to adjust timing if your advancing, too much timing will cause the ion sensing system to activate and retard the timing if this is the case take away some degrees and add a little fuel in these areas

Old 03-18-2011, 07:57 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I would follow Fireaxxe's suggestion to consider the spark plugs. I had a sporadic problem with misfiring last year and I traced it to the plugs. No problem since then, using stock HD (Champion) plugs.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:27 PM
Cousy
Road Captain
Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
I have the same setup, an am currently using the same map. Make sure you using the stock spark plugs when your using the Smartune. What you want to do i load the stage 2 map again without any changes. When you reload the map again make sure you check the boxes for "Reset adaptive fuel", and "Enable Smartune reflash". This will erase any fuel adaptations made by the ECM and also change the map so that most cells are 14.6:1 AFR with 720MV Close Loop bias. You want to do 4 short runs, no more than 4 or 5 miles while recording with the VCI. The Smartune reflash map is a hot map so this is why you dont want to run the bike too long on this map. Get back run the recordings with the smartune and update the VE tables. This should add fuel to the higher rpms and take some away in the lower rpm, it sounds like you have a ignition timing or valve timing issue. The Stage 2 103map should take away 3to5 degrees timing in the low RPM areas and at 2 to 3 degrees in the higher 2500rpm and above. look at your timing tables to confirm if not its the wrong 103map, note that there is a high compression 103map that runs more retarded timing maps. If the bike ran fine with the stage 1 map and had a little pinging your cams are lined up correctly. Try adjusting timing in the problem areas and this should fix your problem if your running too much timing and not enough fuel it will hesitate if you run too little timing and too much fuel it will hesitate also. Use you knock sensor graph as a tool to adjust timing if your advancing, too much timing will cause the ion sensing system to activate and retard the timing if this is the case take away some degrees and add a little fuel in these areas
Thank you. It's late, and I'm going to read your post more closely tomorrow, but are you recommending that I leave the displacement at 103 on the stage 2 map? Or do you think I should adjust down for the 96"?