Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 02:24 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Great, detailed instructions, thanks so much.

In my 2011 Street Glide, I want to add:

Arc Amp
Fairing speaker upgrade
Hogtunes tweeter bar
HD Ipod interface
HD XM module
HD Zumo Nav interface

Is there even room under the fairing for all this gear, or am I going to have to start making sacrifices?

Thanks

Last edited by drspencer; 04-19-2011 at 02:57 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 02:52 PM
Soon2Be1
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Does anyone know if you can run the Ipod and XM interface?

Old 04-19-2011, 04:36 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

A question for you wachuko, the strain relief is a locking connector for the cable (you call it a grommet:
(12100001 Grommet for the hole you have to drill on the saddlebag (if installing in saddlebag ) )

This locks into to place so the connector between the cables has to be outside the saddle bag in order to be able to remove the saddle bag. Where are you putting the connector to protect it from the weather? Under the seat?

Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 PM
kiwich11
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
FWIW: Tyco's instructions for the connector declares that the red wedgelock should not be removed from the connector:

3. ASSEMBLY PROCEDURE
NEVER remove the red wedge lock from the
housing.

You can read the instructions from Tyco's website by using this link and clicking on "Instruction Sheets":

Speaking from personal experience (acquired using the 23 wire version of this connector), it's very easy to break the small black tabs that secure the red wedgelock in the "open" position which ruins the connector. Also, with the red wedgelock removed, it can be a PITA to get the sockets inserted in the correct chambers of the red wedgelock when reinstalling the wedgelock. The sockets lock in the connector, so removing the wedgelock doesn't help lock the sockets.

The OP did a great write-up with pictures, but removing the wedgelock isn't necessary or desireable.

Carl
Thanks for the help with the connector.

Old 04-23-2011, 02:43 PM
kiwich11
5th Gear

Originally Posted by wachuko
And something to highlight... after you have done all this and you are certain that the pins are installed correctly, and that everything is plugged where it should be and you still do not get the radio to recognize the iPod... don't panic!!!

Unplug and plug all connectors again, making sure those are inserted and seated all the way in... and to avoid any embarrassment, please do not ask me how I know... please...
My install not going well -----the ipod is not coming up on the screen----checked all connections- replugged everything --- still no ipod ??????

Old 04-23-2011, 02:54 PM
kiwich11
5th Gear
Red face

Originally Posted by kiwich11
My install not going well -----the ipod is not coming up on the screen----checked all connections- replugged everything --- still no ipod ??????
Update -- replugged everything for the third time and now its working.

Old 04-23-2011, 03:58 PM
2WheelGlider
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Soon2Be1
Does anyone know if you can run the Ipod and XM interface?
The factory can do it. With the factory XM module, all the soft buttons on the radio are used. I know the CVO Ultra has factory xm and NIM but I do not think it comes with the ipod interface. The CVO Road Glide comes with the ipod interface, NIM, and comes with the factory XM module.

Anyone have both the factory XM module and Ipod interface? If so, how are the soft buttons on the radio configured?

Last edited by 2WheelGlider; 04-23-2011 at 04:08 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:41 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

From the photos, it looks like your boned if you have an amp mounted on top of the radio? Anybody have any experience with that?

Old 04-23-2011, 06:07 PM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For those that are having problems with the interface powering up, once you install the system. Check the wedge lock connector. More than likely you don't have the pins locked down properly. The only reason I knew this connector was supposed lock was because of my experience as an electrons tech years ago. The instructions do not clearly state that the wedge lock connecter has an open and closed position. If you can see the silver part of the pins and the will not insert any further the connecter is in the closed position. You need to open it. Mine arrived in the closed position.

Old 04-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The CVO Ultra and the Street Glide come with the iPod interface and they are even nice enough to "give" you an Ipod nano, i think it's a nano, with your bike purchase...... Mighty nice of them. I don not know about the roady by i think it comes with it too.....

Quick Reply: HD Audio iPod Interface Install - 2011 RGC