Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/626042-just-installed-hd-led-headlamp-and-driving-lights.html)

bmarkowitz 03-29-2011 07:53 PM

Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights

Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it..(guess they never checked). Frustrating but worked out OK... Now that is dark out.. Bike looks like a Freight Train coming down the road, cant wait for the Air horn, so it sounds like one too.... pics to follow soon..

xpilot 03-29-2011 07:58 PM

This is next on my list. Of course I won't have my bike until Saturday, so it will have to wait a bit.

sublime_ac 03-29-2011 08:00 PM

Right on, thanks for the info... If you had to weight your rating of the new headlights would you say they are twice as good, three times as good, ten times as good as the factory original lights???

Did you go with the chrome or black?

knox_nate 03-29-2011 08:04 PM

I am interested to know how much brighter they are also. Are they $500 brighter?

bmarkowitz 03-29-2011 08:05 PM

I have not hit the open road just yet... heck its 30 degrees here...just to the end of the road and back... So far I would say 3 times better than stock...I went with Chrome since my bike theme is Chrome..As soon as it warms up a little, I will post an update...

nutter 03-29-2011 08:14 PM

thanks for the info on the soposed "plug n play" my black led should be in for my dyna any day now...glad to hear its brighter too ive head some people complain n say they werent that much better than stock

TexasJR 03-29-2011 08:29 PM

Here's a short video.....hard to tell in the video I guess but they are WAAAAY brighter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=308Ima6XiLs

LaneG 03-29-2011 08:42 PM

I too did the LED upgrade recently. My problem was the new mounting ring holes that you use to screw it to the bat wing, I had to open them up some because the screws wouldn't fit, they needed to be wider apart. The hole pattern was too small in diameter. But after that it was a no brainer. And Gawd how I love it. Question, does anyone ever use the high beam? I don't see much difference.

joflewbyu2 03-29-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bmarkowitz (Post 8117474)
Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it.

Are you sure? I mounted a few and never had any problem. Maybe the mounting ring flipped or backwards.

geneinnc 03-29-2011 09:29 PM

Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it..(guess they never checked). Frustrating but worked out OK... Now that is dark out.. Bike looks like a Freight Train coming down the road, cant wait for the Air horn, so it sounds like one too.... pics to follow soon..

Would it be possible to have someone else ride your bike in the daylight so you can see if it was worth the money?

The reason I ask is my riding buddy put a new high intesity light package on his bike, and I can tell NO difference in the daytime.

The reason I want it is for visability in daylight hours.

Also does your system strobe? His front & rear does, but it's hardly visable from the rear.

I would appreciate any feed back.

ChristoHD 03-29-2011 09:34 PM

Curious....

LED upgrade is my next mod as well. Why did YOU decide to go with the HD brand versus the Truck-Lite?

I know somewhere on this forum some members did a huge write up with photos etc. I can't seem to find it now.

The fence I am on, is one of them is great for night riding and the other is better to be seen during the day. I do not remember which was which.

But I am interested in your opinion and what you factored in for your decision to go with the HD version.

TIA

BTW - those things looks BRIGHT!!

xpilot 03-29-2011 09:49 PM

Not to burst anyones bubble. But, if cagers don't see us in the daylight, it does not matter what headlight you have. People are so into their own life, that they seemingly do not care about others. IMHO the real reason for the LED, is that YOU can see better at night, thus attempt to avoid any situations that become you. I think that you must still drive on the defense, and the better that you can see, the better off you'll be.

shelby500 03-29-2011 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by LaneG (Post 8117740)
I too did the LED upgrade recently. My problem was the new mounting ring holes that you use to screw it to the bat wing, I had to open them up some because the screws wouldn't fit, they needed to be wider apart. The hole pattern was too small in diameter. But after that it was a no brainer. And Gawd how I love it. Question, does anyone ever use the high beam? I don't see much difference.

I don't notice much difference between high and low either,actually think low is better than high!I think the headlight needs to be aimed lower but need some good weather to do some playing with it. told the dealer to aim the light but dont think they even touched it.

bmarkowitz 03-29-2011 09:55 PM

I like OEM on my bike, additionally if there is an issue I can just return to the dealer... I dont like being at the mercy of mail-order.. My dealer offers 10% off for local HOG members so that helps with the cost..I may be wrong but I trust HD to make it correct..

porkchopsd 03-29-2011 10:05 PM

+1 expilot, I never thought of it that way but you are right, don't think a light in the daytime is going to make much of a difference other than giving a false sense of security, hell you could put a siren on a bike and still get hit if let your guard down. I will upgrade to the LEDs I keep seeing Japanese bikes riding to work in the morning with LED lights and they have a way different and better light color. Can you use the running lights in the harley custom auxilliary lamp setup?

ChristoHD 03-29-2011 10:09 PM

All Depends...

Originally Posted by xpilot (Post 8118073)
Not to burst anyones bubble. But, if cagers don't see us in the daylight, it does not matter what headlight you have. People are so into their own life, that they seemingly do not care about others. IMHO the real reason for the LED, is that YOU can see better at night, thus attempt to avoid any situations that become you. I think that you must still drive on the defense, and the better that you can see, the better off you'll be.

All depends on one's driving habits - I rarely drive at night, almost never. So for me, any extra UMPH in being seen during the day is important to me, and hence influences my decision on which LED light I will purchase.

And to keep those bubbles inflated - studies have shown that having your lights on during the day, especially with a motorcycle, does increase your chances of being seen and not being hit. So no matter what, regardless of the vehicle of choice is - for those actually looking out their windshields and not busy reading a text message there is huge increase that they will see you!

Gliden 03-29-2011 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by xpilot (Post 8118073)

I agree. Love the lights though.
I stay ahead and away from everyone as much as possible but today people are more distracted than ever in the cars. Loud pipes and bright lights can't hurt but best defense is staying alert, focused,and keep a good distance.

ChristoHD 03-29-2011 10:12 PM

100% Agree

Originally Posted by Gliden (Post 8118164)
I stay ahead and away from everyone as much as possible but today people are more distracted than ever in the cars. Loud pipes and bright lights can't hurt but best defense is staying alert, focused,and keep a good distance.

Your best defense is your best defense while riding. When I ride, I drive like no one ever sees me, and they are all out to kill me.

Texas Fat Boy 03-29-2011 10:24 PM

I did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago and yes it is worth the money.

As far as worrying about being seen in the daytime better, my wife and I moved to Texas 10 years ago and in those 10 years we have been run into 9 times between us in our cars, trucks or SUVs. What ever we have owned at the time.

..........and my daughter way side swiped by an 18 wheeler, that was trying to avoid some cager making an emergency stop at a county line liquor store.

It's just the people these days, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with motorcyles.

bmarkowitz 03-31-2011 08:08 PM

One of the best bits of advise my MSF instructor gave all those years ago.." Ride like everyone is trying to Kill You"..so far it works...Unless this post is coming from the beyond???I'm just saying....

boutier2002 02-26-2016 01:50 PM

How easy is installation?