Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 07:53 PM
bmarkowitz
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights

Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it..(guess they never checked). Frustrating but worked out OK... Now that is dark out.. Bike looks like a Freight Train coming down the road, cant wait for the Air horn, so it sounds like one too.... pics to follow soon..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:58 PM
xpilot
Advanced

This is next on my list. Of course I won't have my bike until Saturday, so it will have to wait a bit.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:00 PM
sublime_ac
Road Master

Right on, thanks for the info... If you had to weight your rating of the new headlights would you say they are twice as good, three times as good, ten times as good as the factory original lights???

Did you go with the chrome or black?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:04 PM
knox_nate
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am interested to know how much brighter they are also. Are they $500 brighter?

Old 03-29-2011, 08:05 PM
bmarkowitz
Intermediate

I have not hit the open road just yet... heck its 30 degrees here...just to the end of the road and back... So far I would say 3 times better than stock...I went with Chrome since my bike theme is Chrome..As soon as it warms up a little, I will post an update...

Old 03-29-2011, 08:14 PM
nutter
Cruiser

thanks for the info on the soposed "plug n play" my black led should be in for my dyna any day now...glad to hear its brighter too ive head some people complain n say they werent that much better than stock

Old 03-29-2011, 08:29 PM
TexasJR
Tourer

Here's a short video.....hard to tell in the video I guess but they are WAAAAY brighter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=308Ima6XiLs

Old 03-29-2011, 08:42 PM
LaneG
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I too did the LED upgrade recently. My problem was the new mounting ring holes that you use to screw it to the bat wing, I had to open them up some because the screws wouldn't fit, they needed to be wider apart. The hole pattern was too small in diameter. But after that it was a no brainer. And Gawd how I love it. Question, does anyone ever use the high beam? I don't see much difference.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:03 PM
joflewbyu2
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmarkowitz
Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it.
Are you sure? I mounted a few and never had any problem. Maybe the mounting ring flipped or backwards.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:29 PM
geneinnc
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bmarkowitz
Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it..(guess they never checked). Frustrating but worked out OK... Now that is dark out.. Bike looks like a Freight Train coming down the road, cant wait for the Air horn, so it sounds like one too.... pics to follow soon..
Would it be possible to have someone else ride your bike in the daylight so you can see if it was worth the money?

The reason I ask is my riding buddy put a new high intesity light package on his bike, and I can tell NO difference in the daytime.

The reason I want it is for visability in daylight hours.

Also does your system strobe? His front & rear does, but it's hardly visable from the rear.

I would appreciate any feed back.

Quick Reply: Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights