Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:34 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Question Curious....

Originally Posted by bmarkowitz
Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it..(guess they never checked). Frustrating but worked out OK... Now that is dark out.. Bike looks like a Freight Train coming down the road, cant wait for the Air horn, so it sounds like one too.... pics to follow soon..
LED upgrade is my next mod as well. Why did YOU decide to go with the HD brand versus the Truck-Lite?

I know somewhere on this forum some members did a huge write up with photos etc. I can't seem to find it now.

The fence I am on, is one of them is great for night riding and the other is better to be seen during the day. I do not remember which was which.

But I am interested in your opinion and what you factored in for your decision to go with the HD version.

TIA

BTW - those things looks BRIGHT!!

Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 PM
xpilot
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to burst anyones bubble. But, if cagers don't see us in the daylight, it does not matter what headlight you have. People are so into their own life, that they seemingly do not care about others. IMHO the real reason for the LED, is that YOU can see better at night, thus attempt to avoid any situations that become you. I think that you must still drive on the defense, and the better that you can see, the better off you'll be.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
shelby500
Advanced

Originally Posted by LaneG
I too did the LED upgrade recently. My problem was the new mounting ring holes that you use to screw it to the bat wing, I had to open them up some because the screws wouldn't fit, they needed to be wider apart. The hole pattern was too small in diameter. But after that it was a no brainer. And Gawd how I love it. Question, does anyone ever use the high beam? I don't see much difference.
I don't notice much difference between high and low either,actually think low is better than high!I think the headlight needs to be aimed lower but need some good weather to do some playing with it. told the dealer to aim the light but dont think they even touched it.

Old 03-29-2011, 09:55 PM
bmarkowitz
Intermediate

I like OEM on my bike, additionally if there is an issue I can just return to the dealer... I dont like being at the mercy of mail-order.. My dealer offers 10% off for local HOG members so that helps with the cost..I may be wrong but I trust HD to make it correct..

Old 03-29-2011, 10:05 PM
porkchopsd
Tourer

+1 expilot, I never thought of it that way but you are right, don't think a light in the daytime is going to make much of a difference other than giving a false sense of security, hell you could put a siren on a bike and still get hit if let your guard down. I will upgrade to the LEDs I keep seeing Japanese bikes riding to work in the morning with LED lights and they have a way different and better light color. Can you use the running lights in the harley custom auxilliary lamp setup?

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Talking All Depends...

Originally Posted by xpilot
Not to burst anyones bubble. But, if cagers don't see us in the daylight, it does not matter what headlight you have. People are so into their own life, that they seemingly do not care about others. IMHO the real reason for the LED, is that YOU can see better at night, thus attempt to avoid any situations that become you. I think that you must still drive on the defense, and the better that you can see, the better off you'll be.
All depends on one's driving habits - I rarely drive at night, almost never. So for me, any extra UMPH in being seen during the day is important to me, and hence influences my decision on which LED light I will purchase.

And to keep those bubbles inflated - studies have shown that having your lights on during the day, especially with a motorcycle, does increase your chances of being seen and not being hit. So no matter what, regardless of the vehicle of choice is - for those actually looking out their windshields and not busy reading a text message there is huge increase that they will see you!

Old 03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
Gliden
Club Member
Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by xpilot
I agree. Love the lights though.
I stay ahead and away from everyone as much as possible but today people are more distracted than ever in the cars. Loud pipes and bright lights can't hurt but best defense is staying alert, focused,and keep a good distance.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:12 PM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Thumbs up 100% Agree

Originally Posted by Gliden
I stay ahead and away from everyone as much as possible but today people are more distracted than ever in the cars. Loud pipes and bright lights can't hurt but best defense is staying alert, focused,and keep a good distance.
Your best defense is your best defense while riding. When I ride, I drive like no one ever sees me, and they are all out to kill me.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:24 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

I did the upgrade a couple of weeks ago and yes it is worth the money.

As far as worrying about being seen in the daytime better, my wife and I moved to Texas 10 years ago and in those 10 years we have been run into 9 times between us in our cars, trucks or SUVs. What ever we have owned at the time.

..........and my daughter way side swiped by an 18 wheeler, that was trying to avoid some cager making an emergency stop at a county line liquor store.

It's just the people these days, plain and simple. It has nothing to do with motorcyles.

Old 03-31-2011, 08:08 PM
bmarkowitz
Intermediate

One of the best bits of advise my MSF instructor gave all those years ago.." Ride like everyone is trying to Kill You"..so far it works...Unless this post is coming from the beyond???I'm just saying....

Quick Reply: Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights