Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/626042-just-installed-hd-led-headlamp-and-driving-lights.html)

bmarkowitz 03-29-2011 07:53 PM

Just Installed HD LED Headlamp and Driving Lights

Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it..(guess they never checked). Frustrating but worked out OK... Now that is dark out.. Bike looks like a Freight Train coming down the road, cant wait for the Air horn, so it sounds like one too.... pics to follow soon..

xpilot 03-29-2011 07:58 PM

This is next on my list. Of course I won't have my bike until Saturday, so it will have to wait a bit.

sublime_ac 03-29-2011 08:00 PM

Right on, thanks for the info... If you had to weight your rating of the new headlights would you say they are twice as good, three times as good, ten times as good as the factory original lights???

Did you go with the chrome or black?

knox_nate 03-29-2011 08:04 PM

I am interested to know how much brighter they are also. Are they $500 brighter?

bmarkowitz 03-29-2011 08:05 PM

I have not hit the open road just yet... heck its 30 degrees here...just to the end of the road and back... So far I would say 3 times better than stock...I went with Chrome since my bike theme is Chrome..As soon as it warms up a little, I will post an update...

nutter 03-29-2011 08:14 PM

thanks for the info on the soposed "plug n play" my black led should be in for my dyna any day now...glad to hear its brighter too ive head some people complain n say they werent that much better than stock

TexasJR 03-29-2011 08:29 PM

Here's a short video.....hard to tell in the video I guess but they are WAAAAY brighter!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=308Ima6XiLs

LaneG 03-29-2011 08:42 PM

I too did the LED upgrade recently. My problem was the new mounting ring holes that you use to screw it to the bat wing, I had to open them up some because the screws wouldn't fit, they needed to be wider apart. The hole pattern was too small in diameter. But after that it was a no brainer. And Gawd how I love it. Question, does anyone ever use the high beam? I don't see much difference.

joflewbyu2 03-29-2011 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by bmarkowitz (Post 8117474)
Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it.

Are you sure? I mounted a few and never had any problem. Maybe the mounting ring flipped or backwards.

geneinnc 03-29-2011 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by bmarkowitz (Post 8117474)
Just finished installing HD's LED headlamps and Driving Lights on my 2010 Ultra.. Dealer said Headlamp was just 'Plug and Play" well not really.. You have to REPLACE the stock mounting bracket with the bracket supplied with the the new lamp... The retaining ring gets re-installed. but HD forgot to tap one of the holes so I could not secure the lamp until I tapped it..(guess they never checked). Frustrating but worked out OK... Now that is dark out.. Bike looks like a Freight Train coming down the road, cant wait for the Air horn, so it sounds like one too.... pics to follow soon..

Would it be possible to have someone else ride your bike in the daylight so you can see if it was worth the money?

The reason I ask is my riding buddy put a new high intesity light package on his bike, and I can tell NO difference in the daytime.

The reason I want it is for visability in daylight hours.

Also does your system strobe? His front & rear does, but it's hardly visable from the rear.

I would appreciate any feed back.