Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 10:14 AM
17VelRed
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it too obvious that I'm replacing my handlebars? Finally, got the right windscreen that fits me this Saturday. What a HUGE!!! difference it makes when you get the correct windscreen. I can hear my radio at a lot lower volume, even on the highway. My seat came in Saturday. I was disappointed when I first rode it but I think I will like it better after I get some miles under my belt. It is much harder and dense then I was expecting but it is beautiful work and looks good on the bike. I'm in the process of swapping out my handlebars to the Paul Yaffe 10" Monkey bars. Have to get the wire extensions at lunch today. Right side will reach, left side it too short for the bars I'm using. If anyone is doing this themselves, save some time and go ahead and grease your cables outer conduit. I'll just say for mine, anyway. That quick little turn at the top of the bars, looks good, until go start pulling cable. (Looks like I got my old Shovel in the picture as well.)

Old 12-11-2017, 11:36 AM
17VelRed
Advanced

Old 12-11-2017, 02:28 PM
ajclassic
Cruiser
Received 79 Likes on 46 Posts

I removed what was left of my old cooked baffle wrap out of my pipes. I ran the bike just to hear the difference in sound. And OMG I love it. Debating right now whether to put the baffles back in or leave the pipes open like they are. I guess I should throw them in and see if it sounds good too.

Last edited by ajclassic; 12-11-2017 at 02:30 PM.
Old 12-11-2017, 03:18 PM
17VelRed
Advanced

I was at the HD shop Saturday and I asked the young man that worked on my bike about the baffles in/out. He told me to NOT run the bike w/out the baffles. My whole life I've always heard to NOT do that since the engine needs the back pressure etc., etc., He also stated that you will actually loose performance as well. I asked about re-tuning the bike after removing the baffles and I got the "needs back pressure...". When I first heard my bike after the mods, I thought I was going to be sick. Sounds good but the volume needs turned up a whoooole lot more. I messed w/ my baffle for about 2 minutes just before leaving for work and couldn't get them to move. After I talked to the mechanic I just thought I'd focus on the other items.

Old 12-11-2017, 03:54 PM
ajclassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by 17VelRed
I was at the HD shop Saturday and I asked the young man that worked on my bike about the baffles in/out. He told me to NOT run the bike w/out the baffles. My whole life I've always heard to NOT do that since the engine needs the back pressure etc., etc., He also stated that you will actually loose performance as well. I asked about re-tuning the bike after removing the baffles and I got the "needs back pressure...". When I first heard my bike after the mods, I thought I was going to be sick. Sounds good but the volume needs turned up a whoooole lot more. I messed w/ my baffle for about 2 minutes just before leaving for work and couldn't get them to move. After I talked to the mechanic I just thought I'd focus on the other items.
Yeah i have read a few posts about removing baffles and all that. I heard the bit about loosing back pressure and performance. But it all seemed to be minuscule. I do believe what you are saying though. I think what i will do is install the baffles back in and see what she sounds like. Im also gonna see if i can find anymore posts on this.

Old 12-11-2017, 05:03 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Tons of accurate info and fixes for power losses. Went with Python 3's on a Heritage, and they were so open, I lost all low and mid torque. Added the Thunder Monster inserts, and bottom and mid became better than stock, and the sound pitch dropped close to an octave, but were still TOO DAMN LOUD. FWIW, Pythons are LOUD... BCT now had quiet baffles too. tp

https://www.bigcitythunder.com/category/tech-articles/

DK has a similar design, I'm sure are great, but never used them... tp

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (12-12-2017)
Old 12-12-2017, 07:30 AM
17VelRed
Advanced

Once I get my bike back together, I'm going to take the baffles out and see how she does. I was told they will get louder w/ use so that's a good thing since I ride quite a bit, weather permitting. I remember as a kid we would always run water in our tail pipes in an effort to increase the sound of our glass packs. I'm certainly not going to revert back to the logical mind of a 16 year old. It just shows how that sound of a solid engine has been there a long time. I think if she sounds like I was with them out, I'll take them out when I'm around the local area but when I leave the state to see my wife, I'll put them in for the trip to get some miles blown through them. Let us know if you find some other thoughts about the baffles ajclassic. Good hunting.

Old 12-12-2017, 05:38 PM
Sqr
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Installed tweeters.

Last edited by Sqr; 12-12-2017 at 05:48 PM.
Old 12-12-2017, 06:36 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ajclassic
Yeah i have read a few posts about removing baffles and all that. I heard the bit about loosing back pressure and performance. But it all seemed to be minuscule. ..
You are reading the wrong posts. Here is a perfect example:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyno-...n-low-end.html

On another note, just made a TP wall mount out of some old alum angle stock.

Attached Thumbnails What did you do to your bagger today?-tp-3-2-.jpg   What did you do to your bagger today?-tp-1.jpg  

Last edited by KumaRide; 12-12-2017 at 06:41 PM.
Old 12-13-2017, 05:47 AM
ajclassic
Cruiser

Originally Posted by KumaRide
You are reading the wrong posts. Here is a perfect example:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/dyno-...n-low-end.html

On another note, just made a TP wall mount out of some old alum angle stock.
thanks for that post up. Man that was a bit hard to understand. But it seems to not be as minuscule as I thought lol..

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?