Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What did you do to your bagger today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 10:58 PM
Frank the Real Biker
Road Master
Received 783 Likes on 303 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtdreamer50
Went for a ride this afternoon. Riding down the highway at 60MPH and hit a stretch of road that had just had the top layer of asphalt removed. This creates dozens of grooves that run the length of the road. Every few seconds the bike would veer immediately to the right and back to the left, like riding on ice.

This went on for a few miles, and trying to cross the grooves to the uncut lane was impossible. Finally able to change lanes at an intersection where the removal stopped for a short distance.

I knew I was going down at any second, but also knew that I just couldn't let that happen. Been on similar roads on other bikes, but never as nervous as I was today on the Ultra. The grooves literally were trying to pull the bars out of my hands, tried a light grip and heavy, but no change in controlling the bikes movement. (Been riding on and off road for 48 years now, and never felt this out of control).

There were no warning signs of the road's condition either, and for a car, no big deal, but for us, a Damn Scary situation. FWIW, a big heavy Harley isn't a good candidate for riding on such roads; even more unstable than my old Heritage on gravel.
I have a friend who was a wheel cop in Tacoma, Washington years ago. He got into a pursuit while riding his FLHTP and came to one of those bridges with a metal mesh road surface. It caused his bike to react much like yours did on the grooved pavement you described...only he was going well over 90 MPH...at night. He said it tossed him from one side of the lane and almost into the side of the bridge. Back and forth, back and forth. He was able to slow down and get past the bridge and onto good ol' concrete again. It was only a few seconds of terror, but I bet it was a long few seconds!

(He told me the incident caused him to ruin a perfectly good pair of Fruit of the Loom boxers.)

The following users liked this post:
dirtdreamer50 (05-04-2016)
Old 05-03-2016, 11:15 PM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Mine went on for several minutes. Really frustrating when there was no way off the lane. Riding experience helped to some degree, but no level of experience would guarantee that I was going to keep the bike up. Just blessed with a safe ride home.

Old 05-03-2016, 11:39 PM
head
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I hit one of those construction areas in the late 90's on the way to Daytona coming through Jacksonville. It will certainly get your attention. I'm not fond of the bridges either but try to take it easy on those. The worst for me is when they resurface the interstate and have only done one side. It is way higher than the other side. Very dangerous if you try to change lanes.

Head

Old 05-04-2016, 12:25 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

Installed the adjustable rider's backrest and took it for a 30 min 'test ride' on the highway by my home. The difference having that backrest makes is believable. I may never get off the bike anymore until my dying day.

BTW a 'shout out' to my new friend johnson27, who I purchased the backrest from in the classifieds on this site.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-10-2016 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-04-2016, 05:52 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytown
Installed the adjustable rider's backrest and took it for a 30 min 'test ride' on the highway by my home. The difference having that backrest makes is unfu**in believable. I may never get off the bike anymore until my dying day.

BTW a 'shout out' to my new friend johnson27, who I purchased the backrest from in the classifieds on this site.

But it doesn't match your nice seat and sissy bar backrest.....

Old 05-04-2016, 06:16 AM
dirtdreamer50
Elite HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Hate Work
If he does what he says and never gets off the bike again, no one will be able to notice the difference.

Old 05-04-2016, 07:50 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts

Went for a ride this afternoon. Riding down the highway at 60MPH and hit a stretch of road that had just had the top layer of asphalt removed. This creates dozens of grooves that run the length of the road. Every few seconds the bike would veer immediately to the right and back to the left, like riding on ice.

This went on for a few miles, and trying to cross the grooves to the uncut lane was impossible. Finally able to change lanes at an intersection where the removal stopped for a short distance.

I knew I was going down at any second, but also knew that I just couldn't let that happen. Been on similar roads on other bikes, but never as nervous as I was today on the Ultra. The grooves literally were trying to pull the bars out of my hands, tried a light grip and heavy, but no change in controlling the bikes movement. (Been riding on and off road for 48 years now, and never felt this out of control).

There were no warning signs of the road's condition either, and for a car, no big deal, but for us, a Damn Scary situation. FWIW, a big heavy Harley isn't a good candidate for riding on such roads; even more unstable than my old Heritage on gravel.
Just one of many reasons I switched to a TriGlide. No cares in the world now - not even in winter.
Should have done it years ago when I was in my 60's. Most fun I've had on a motorcycle....ever.
As the sergeant on Hill Street Blues said - "Be careful out there".

Old 05-04-2016, 10:18 AM
crazytown
Road Master

Received 548 Likes on 319 Posts

If he does what he says and never gets off the bike again, no one will be able to notice the difference.
LOL I would be lying if I said that I hadn't considered that initially. Now, I could give flying fist. should have done this years ago. Peace to all!

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 05-10-2016 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Poorly disguised profanity
Old 05-04-2016, 10:39 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by crazytown
LOL I would be lying if I said that I hadn't considered that initially. Now, I could give flying f**k. I should have done this years ago. Peace to all!
Ditto. I love my backrest. I actually forgot it a couple of weeks ago and bitched to myself. It was a rough job riding tree lined back roads on a sunny 75 degree day without the backrest, but I pulled through.

The following users liked this post:
crazytown (05-05-2016)
Old 05-04-2016, 05:36 PM
trackadaptor
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Wink

Took a Picture with all me new stuff

Last edited by trackadaptor; 06-29-2016 at 06:45 PM.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your bagger today?