Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:15 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic

Hey Guys ( Newbie Again & Agian~Asking 4 HELP ! )

Here what's going on with my H-D.

Having a problem CENTERING the axle in the SWINGARM.
Originally the axle nut was evenly spaced in the swingarm and my belt was
just right. Belt got 44,000 miles on it and is in good condition.

If I centered the axle nut my belt becomes very LOOSE.
If I use the adjusters on either side of the swingarm the belt TIGHTENES-UP. However, the axle nut in NOT in the SAME POSITION it was originally ~ Whew I hope you guys can understand this lunatick.

So the question remains: Do I tighten-up the adjesters to make the belt have just the right amount of tension ?

Or what else can I do ?

NEXT: That BIG FAT RIVEST that's holding my license plate frame into the body frame of my bike.

Where;How;What do I buy that BIG FAT RIVET that was originally holding everything together ?
Or do I put something else in its place to hold everything even better.

P.S. That Big Rivet you see there is both TOP & BOTTOM (2) two on either side of the bike.

See attachments:

Attached Thumbnails The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-adjusting-belt.jpg   The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-axle-nut-right-side-centered.jpg   The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-big-rivet.jpg   The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-evenly-spaced-nut.jpg   The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-loose-belt.jpg  

Old 04-04-2011, 07:41 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Don't worry about centering the axle in the swing arm. Set the tension right, and make sure the axle is spaced back the same amount on both sides. If it's 1/4" back of center, make sure it's the same on both sides an you should be good.

Old 04-04-2011, 08:21 PM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Thumbs up O.K. If You Say So . . .

Hey JCleary

Check out the present position of the axle nut & measurements of both sides of the adjusters.

Just asking: What makes you say it's O.K. the way I have it ?

Thanks - 4 - your input

So from seeing the pics; you say its O.K. ?
The belt really isn't done by SPEC'S
I just wiggled it up and down and it feels O.K.
Not too tight nor too loose.

What you're take on the belt being adjusted by my hand feel ?

Originally Posted by JCleary
Don't worry about centering the axle in the swing arm. Set the tension right, and make sure the axle is spaced back the same amount on both sides. If it's 1/4" back of center, make sure it's the same on both sides an you should be good.

Attached Thumbnails The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-axle-in-right-side-swingarm.jpg   The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-axle-nut-left-side.jpg   The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-axle-in-swingarm-left-side.jpg   The Axle & The Big Fat Rivet ~ On My '85 Electra Glide Classic-axle-nut-right-side.jpg  
Old 04-04-2011, 10:33 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,228 Likes on 2,470 Posts

if by centered in the swingarm you mean equal distance from the front and rear in the slot, then don't worry about that. the swingarm is slotted for a reason. as the belt stretches, you have to adjust your axle position to maintain the correct amount of tension.

some folks swear by the belt tension tool. and its cheap enough. others say just go with trying to twist the belt 45* on the bottom middle. put it this way, you're rarely wrong if you go by the book.....

Old 04-04-2011, 11:59 PM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SCHOONER
Hey JCleary

Check out the present position of the axle nut & measurements of both sides of the adjusters.

Just asking: What makes you say it's O.K. the way I have it ?

Thanks - 4 - your input

So from seeing the pics; you say its O.K. ?
The belt really isn't done by SPEC'S
I just wiggled it up and down and it feels O.K.
Not too tight nor too loose.

What you're take on the belt being adjusted by my hand feel ?
By the first set of pics it looks like the slack was caused by an attempt to center the adjusters as opposed to adjusting the belt to the proper tension.

Now, by the second set of pics it looks like you're adjusted all the way out. If that's the case and your belt is still loose, then you need a new belt in my opinion. If you can only turn the belt about 45 degrees or so you should be ok, but the belt will likely need replacement soon...

I hate replacing belts. Not a fun job on a Harley.

Old 04-05-2011, 01:54 AM
SCHOONER
Tourer
Thumbs up Hummmm Sound Good Enough -4- Me . . .

Hey Skratch

Thanks for the heads-up on my belt tension. Hummm . . . try an twist the belt 45 degrees.

I'll certainly look into that.

Originally Posted by skratch
if by centered in the swingarm you mean equal distance from the front and rear in the slot, then don't worry about that. the swingarm is slotted for a reason. as the belt stretches, you have to adjust your axle position to maintain the correct amount of tension.

some folks swear by the belt tension tool. and its cheap enough. others say just go with trying to twist the belt 45* on the bottom middle. put it this way, you're rarely wrong if you go by the book.....

Old 04-05-2011, 04:00 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Schooner, with your second pics you are on the right track. If as JCleary says the axle is at the end of the slots and your belt is still loose you have a problem. I wouldn't expect to run out of adjustment like that, even with a very old belt. I suggest you undo the axle nut so you can see behind the washer, to check if there is at least a small amount of the swingarm slot in view. If it is and your belt tension is fine, ride on!