Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Gonna get a Road King - looking for some friendly advise (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/628508-gonna-get-a-road-king-looking-for-some-friendly-advise.html)

TW 04-05-2011 12:32 PM

You'll love the King.
I've had several now.

durtyburt 04-05-2011 02:05 PM

I luv mine, bought new in '05 never any problems, like the fact u can go with or without windshield.Rode my son's Nightster, felt like a bicycle after having RK these past years.

CEJohnson21 04-05-2011 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by jamesroadking (Post 8147670)
Get ABS brakes and cuise control. Both are worth the extra $$

+1 for cruise and ABS.

Climb14er 04-05-2011 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by martinrobert (Post 8147975)
Oh I know one more question - is there any kind of wind issues with the 'windshield' only style vs faring? Do you add anything else to deflect wind? Is there any buffeting or can that be adjusted out?

Thanks again guys - all of this is new and exciting to me!

I rode in horrendous winds last Friday and Saturday... big time winds from all directions. When we got to Estes Park, the white caps were all over the lake(s) and the intense spindrift was coming off of the high peaks. The ride back on 34 east and I-25 south was chocked full of very strong winds.

Bottom line: I was unbelievably impressed at the stability of the RKC and the windshield. Absolutely no negatives from me either regarding the wind or windshield.

Get the RKC with the 103 and security and ABS. This is a terrific combination!

d2jlking 04-05-2011 02:47 PM

Mines a 2009..definitely get cruise....its so nice on long trips...abs works great...I have a 103 and have been thru a starter already, so if your going that route do some reading on here about the hot starting issues with 103" HD motor. The King is nimble comfortable and great looking, have fun bro

kf_chris 04-05-2011 03:31 PM

I just picked up my used 06 last week. I didn't ride for a few years and had crotch rockets before...the RK is a absolutely perfect bike. I'm glad I didn't get a heritage or softail custom as I had originally wanted. The wife and I cruise in style and comfort on either the highway or twisties...all last weekend and loved it (and it was her first time as a passenger for more than 5 miles)
Cruise is a must. I'd admit to liking the idea of more power with the 103 and the extra gear but I'm more happy with this bike than any of my previous ones.

mrfikser 04-05-2011 06:01 PM

I have a '11 RKC ....I have been riding for 40 years and this is the best bike I ever had..hands down...It loves the highway and the back roads....the only issue I have with it and its really a non issue is the windshield ..at highway speed with cross winds it deflects a fair amount distorting the view through it..If it starts to bother me though I just sit up a little taller and look over it..and first gear whines a little..but they all do...buy it, ride it, love it...just like a woman

Whiskers 04-05-2011 06:13 PM

If you're going to have the dealer do most of the up-keep on the bike be fully aware of what they charge for their services. Try to negotiate a deal to get the 1k service for free and fully aware of how much it costs to do the successive service checks.

My bike has 33k on it now and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Good luck and ride safe.

ronny c. 04-05-2011 06:15 PM

You'll have a 2 year unlimited miles warrenty when buying new so any issues won't be an issue

OldPhat 04-05-2011 06:20 PM

Get a standard Road King 07 or newer if looking for a used one, or get a new one if you
can swing it.