Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Gonna get a Road King - looking for some friendly advise (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/628508-gonna-get-a-road-king-looking-for-some-friendly-advise.html)

martinrobert 04-05-2011 08:41 AM

Gonna get a Road King - looking for some friendly advise

Hi there touring gurus

I've been a sporty guy for a long time now and looking to get a Road King. I've loved the looks of those for a long time and it's come time that I can get one.

I'm looking for some history about how these hold up. I realize that there is everything to do with hos well taken care of they are -- however -- when I'm getting a new one I wonder about how they last out of the box?

I just wonder if anyone can comment on anything that I should be aware of being a first time 'big twin' owner and touring bike owner? Anything special about taking care of one, any hidden 'gotchas' that I should take into consideration -- like transmission problems and the like.

I've always been pretty good at taking care of the bikes I've had and the last two have been Harleys. I can wrench some on my own but nothing like installing cams or low end work. I'm a 'AC - new pipes' installer and I can rejet carbs. I think I'll do pretty well when I get a BT just looking for a few tips opn owning one. I can't wait to get it!!!

Thanks in advance guys!!

Kanebanger 04-05-2011 09:02 AM

No unique problems that I'm aware of. Heard that the cats on the newer ones get a little hot but it sounds like you'll be switching the pipes out anyways. Have you taken one for a ride yet? It's night and day compared to a sportster.... you're gonna love it!!!

jamesroadking 04-05-2011 09:09 AM

Get ABS brakes and cuise control. Both are worth the extra $$

Ronp42 04-05-2011 09:18 AM

Got over 13K on my 2010 RK It's stock except Stage 1 pipes and A/F. wouldn't trade it for anything!!!! Hasn't been back to the Dealer except to stop in a say hello. If I were getting a new RK, I would buy the RKC and get the 103 engine. Cruise and ABS is a must have. Good Luck!!!

martinrobert 04-05-2011 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Kanebanger (Post 8147650)
No unique problems that I'm aware of. Heard that the cats on the newer ones get a little hot but it sounds like you'll be switching the pipes out anyways. Have you taken one for a ride yet? It's night and day compared to a sportster.... you're gonna love it!!!

I have taken a ride on one about two years ago at the dealer when they had an open house and demo rides. Yea - it WAS certainly night and day in terms of how wonderful the ride was.

I will most likely change the pipes and AC - and unlike my sporty which is carb - the new RK will be FI and I need to re-map that right? Would I need to do that if I just swapped the mufflers only or am I entering into a different world with FI?

Yea - I'm totally stoked about this and I'm going to stick with the standard RK with hard bags -- I don't want to deal with taking care of leather anymore even though they look so much cooler........

Thanks to all for the replys so far -- keepum coming!!!

spacedog 04-05-2011 09:27 AM

I moved up to a 2010 Road King last year from a 2007 xlc 1200, best move I have made in bikes. I have only two small problems, the front brake squeaks a bit backing out of the garage and there is a little more vibration in the right footboard than the left. It is a great bike and yes, abs and cruise.

D'Artagnan 04-05-2011 09:27 AM

I just tripped 25,000 on my 2010 FLHR this past weekend. I took it in Saturday for service because it had gone into "limp home mode" a couple times recently. I found after doing some searching on here that that was a problem some folks had with 2008 models relating to the throttle sensor. My dealer checked the codes and replaced the sensor under warranty. Other than that, it's been smooth sailing and I have never regretted the purchase. If I had it to do over, I would get cruise though. At the time, I just didn't think I'd use it.

Pumba11 04-05-2011 09:29 AM

Can't speak for the new models, but my 1999 has been a trouper. On 2006 and earlier models you need to address the cam tensioners, and on very early 1999 and maybe 2000 models there was a cam bearing recall. Other than that it's only been one starter in almost 60k miles. Love, love, love my RK!

bellgnte 04-05-2011 09:33 AM

Not sure what years you are looking for but they changed the frame in '09. Pumba11 is right on about the cam bearing for earlier models. Oh...........I about forgot.....you will wonder why it took yourself so long to switch :)

one more thing................floorboard extensions are a good cheap mod

martinrobert 04-05-2011 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by bellgnte (Post 8147777)
Not sure what years you are looking for but they changed the frame in '09. Pumba11 is right on about the cam bearing for earlier models. Oh...........I about forgot.....you will wonder why it took yourself so long to switch :)

LOL - It was not a matter of wanting - it was a matter of affording that has been driving the swap. I have to say though - my 2006 1200 XLC has been and is a GREAT - BIKE. It's fast and low and feels great when I ride it. I wish I could keep both -- though I'm using it as the trade in to keep the installments low on the new bike.

I did hear about the cam tensioners and didn't really recall any details as to what yrs had this issue. So that's a non issue in the new models?

I'm considering a new 2011 model and I did know they changed the frame. Was that to address some wobbling that I had read about in the past? I see these 'frame stabilizers' that some folks use. Is that for older models too?

Yea - I totally can't wait. Two more car payments and it's off the to the HD Dealer. :D