Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Consumption Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 11:17 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dohadex
What do you recommend for a PC-V? Same reductions settings?
The same, and be aware that the PCV has a 15% column that the PCIII doesn't have. The 7% reduction works for Fuel Moto maps, but might not be appropriate with others like those from the PC site. OTOH the maps from there tend to be even richer than Fuel Moto maps, so I think you'd be safe with the 7% rule. Some have mentioned "economy" maps from the PC site, so I don't know about those.

If you get any hesitation or detonation you'll need to adjust the map in the other direction, but low-speed, low-load cruising may reveal some gurgling, for lack of a better word, but that won't hurt anything as long as there's no hesitation. That is normally around the 5-10% area so if it bothers you adding some fuel to that area in small increments won't hurt mileage much. Normally you'll be at 10-15% TP at moderate highway speeds. Watch oil temperatures, as leaning the AFR's will cause head temps to increase--but these changes won't be as lean as stock, and if you have an oil cooler you should be in good shape.

FWIW I'm running 14.6:1 in the cruise range and have no issues. Mileage is good as long as I stay at modest highway speeds (~55mph), usually in the upper-40's.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:19 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by dohadex
What do you recommend for a PC-V? Same reductions settings?
The same, and be aware that the PCV has a 15% column that the PCIII doesn't have. The 7% reduction works for Fuel Moto maps, but might not be appropriate with others like those from the PC site. OTOH the maps from there tend to be even richer than Fuel Moto maps, so I think you'd be safe with the 7% rule. Some have mentioned "economy" maps from the PC site, so I don't know about those.

If you get any hesitation or detonation you'll need to adjust the map in the other direction, but low-speed, low-load cruising may reveal some gurgling, for lack of a better word, but that won't hurt anything as long as there's no hesitation. That is normally around the 5-10% area so if it bothers you adding some fuel to that area in small increments won't hurt mileage much. Normally you'll be at 10-15% TP at moderate highway speeds. Watch oil temperatures, as leaning the AFR's will cause head temps to increase--but these changes won't be as lean as stock, and if you have an oil cooler you should be in good shape.

FWIW I'm running 14.6:1 (stock) in the cruise range and have no issues. Mileage is good as long as I stay at modest highway speeds (~55mph), usually in the upper-40's.