Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I knew it, but it still sucks...

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 03:15 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I knew it, but it still sucks...

Well here it is a nice, sunny, 90 degree day in Kansas City and I'm sitting inside watching and listening to tons of bikes roll down the highway behind my house.

I just had major back surgery (almost 3 weeks ago) and so I'm grounded, so to speak until the end of June. I'm definitely missing riding. I missed all but a month (Oct) of riding last year because I had to sell my bike at the end of 2009.

I knew I'd be missing part of the riding season this year due to my recovery, but really, when it comes down to either riding or having permanent nerve damage in my legs and possibly never riding again, what choice was there?

All that being said, not riding still sucks, but I guess it's for the best. At least that's what I tell myself when the wife takes off on her Heritage. To her defense though, I insist that she rides even while I can't. There's no sense in 2 bikes being garage queens this season.

Thanks for listening.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:20 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts
Default Don't rush back

I had back surgery on L4 in 1994. I had to rush back to work after 2 weeks because I was self-employed. I never healed properly because of that. So take your time getting back so you will be strong when you return. I know about different lumbar supports that work well, so PM if you want any advice.
Time flies, hang in there.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:25 PM
Cruiser

Glad to hear you're recovering. I have a ruptured disc, and I'm not looking forward to the downtime for repairs either. I hope you are riding again soon.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:30 PM
hdelectra
Road Captain

Originally Posted by 10350
Glad to hear you're recovering. I have a ruptured disc, and I'm not looking forward to the downtime for repairs either. I hope you are riding again soon.
I had 2 bulging discs and 1 herniated disc in the lumbar region. I also had lumbar spinal stenosis, degenerative disc disease and arthritis. They managed (supposedly) to take care of all of it with a open decompression & roto-rooter job at L3-L4, L4-L5 and L5-S1.

Fun stuff, but better than the alternative.

Good luck with your back as well.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:45 PM
NoKenDo
Road Master
Received 50 Likes on 17 Posts

Makes my total knee replacement (3 weeks ago) seem minor.

Not able to ride yet either.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:55 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Take all the time you need to heal now...the roads will still be there when you're able to get back on the bike.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:18 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I had back surgery 7 years ago. Had to lay on my back for 1 month continously. Just have to remember that you have back problems so that you dont try to do things like your 18 again. Thats what got me in the first place. Took me 1 year to recover and 3 to get fully recovered. I was back riding after that year. Its all how you take it easy while recovering and learn what your new capabalities are. The doc told me he was scheduling the surgery and if I didnt want it he would just cancel it. He told me but no matter if I have it or not that I had to get off all the meds that I was on because it was tearing up my body. I actually thought the meds were not working until I awaken the next morning and was in major pain. It took 2 days for the meds to catch back up from that night of absence. When I told this to the doc he said he knew it because its bad and just had to show you how bad. When he went into the spinal channel he actually found it to be worst that he thought. All I heard was the horror stories before I had my surgery, and everyone telling me not to do it. I had no choice, I would get home and ball up like an infant in bed until time to go back to work, always in constant pain. This was my life for a year before surgery. I know this is long but it is for a good reason, It is to show that you still have a riding future ahead of you but you must take it very easy. Dont give up

Old 04-09-2011, 06:30 PM
munch34m
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can sympathise with your missing riding. It's just started to thaw and warm up enough to put the bike on the road. I'm down with a shattered right leg, happened about a month ago, and am still about 2 months away from riding. I know it doesn't compare with your back, but missing a ride is missing a ride. I hope your healing process goes along all well and fine and FAST!!! Take care bro.

Old 04-09-2011, 06:56 PM
bigcletus
Cruiser

Guys, we're getting old!!! lol. I too am stuck at home after 2 back surgeries, with another one to come in 2-3 months. I did go for a 1 hour ride today tho, against Docs orders!! lol

Old 04-09-2011, 07:42 PM
ja57
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 103 Likes on 91 Posts

I hope that you have a good recovery. My wife after all of her spine surgeries had to quit riding. Finally sold her bike last month.

Quick Reply: I knew it, but it still sucks...