Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Street Glide 103": Remove Cat or Buy New Headpipe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:23 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
In comparison to what? The stock pipes with the Jackpot head pipe?
I have a 2011 Street Glide with a 103. Presently using the stock head pipe (with cat) and Rinehart 4" slip-ons. Ideally, this would be as loud as I would want my exhuast.

However, I need to remove the cat before tuning. Either cutting it out of the stock pipe, or getting a Jackpot 2-1-2.

I just need to know if the Jackpot 2-1-2 will be louder than the stock pipe with the cat removed. If yes, how much louder?

Thanks again

Old 04-13-2011, 01:29 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drspencer
I have a 2011 Street Glide with a 103. Presently using the stock head pipe (with cat) and Rinehart 4" slip-ons. Ideally, this would be as loud as I would want my exhuast.

However, I need to remove the cat before tuning. Either cutting it out of the stock pipe, or getting a Jackpot 2-1-2.

I just need to know if the Jackpot 2-1-2 will be louder than the stock pipe with the cat removed. If yes, how much louder?

Thanks again
I had 3.5 inch Rineharts at one time with the stock header and they weren't loud at all. Still sounded like a sewing machine, as for the sound of the Rineharts with the new head pipes, there are many members who have posted videos of that setup here on the forum. I think the 4" Rineharts sound better with an aftermarket head pipe, and better than the 3.5" ones.

I put a link in my previous post which leads to a video of my setup to give you an idea of the sound.

Any exhaust is going to be louder with a gutted cat or a new head pipe, how loud and what will it sound like depends a lot on which slip ons, what size motor, and work that has or hasn't been done to it. Also everyone's idea of loud is different, I don't mind loud if it's deep, you have deep sounding mufflers, I would be happy too with your mufflers and an aftermarket pipe, I went with the Fuel Moto stuff because I was already getting my tuner from them, and they have lifetime warranty on their exhaust products. Longevity was a big contributing factory to my purchase when I'm forking over so much of my hard earned cash to someone.

This is all the info I have brother, you need to get out and listen to stuff and see what works for you.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBvvdnX67Vs

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 04-13-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 01:38 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't recommend altering the stock exhaust. I personally don't think it's worth the hassle and you might end up doing more harm than good. Just bite the bullet and get a good set of aftermarket pipes, your bike is worth it. JMO

Old 04-13-2011, 01:55 PM
michaelm
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

fullsac x-pipe.
It's not the headpipe that will drown out your tunes, it's the Reinharts.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:02 PM
Tek74
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I tossed around the idea of gutting my cat on my 2011 RGC 103, but I didn't have the tools available to cut the pipe or re-weld it after removing the cat. And nobody I know personally had the tools either. So rather than pay $100 - $200 to have the work done I just decided to remove the whole factory headpipe and replace it with V&H Dresser Dual which were about $370. I'm very happy with the True Duals and don't have any Buyer's Remorse for not paying more for some higher end ceramic coated headpipes with more power, like the Fuel Moto or Fullsac.

The hardest part for me was choosing some mufflers that had a look and sound that I wanted. I ended up going with the V&H Twin Slash Rounds. I liked the look, and the sound is great on acceleration, while very tolerable at cruising speed in the 2500 - 3k rpm range. no problem hearing the stereo while crusing at all. If I ever decide that the Twin Slash muffs are too loud, I'll swap them out for the Klock Werks SS mufflers. You can hear both of these (as well as many others ) on You Tube.

Last edited by Tek74; 04-13-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on the Twin Slash mufflers. My bike is considerably louder than when I had the CAT (installed Power Duals), really barks when on the gas, mellows out when cruising, and I can still hear the radio.

Old 04-13-2011, 02:09 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by michaelm
fullsac x-pipe.
It's not the headpipe that will drown out your tunes, it's the Reinharts.
I thought the Rineharts are one of the more mellow sounding mufflers?

Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
batman4706
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up my 2011 FLHX w/power pack Friday. I'm having the Fuelmoto headpipe and SE255 cams installed before I pick it up, the are also putting my Rush mufflers on.

I have a PCV w/auto tune ready at the house.
Fuelmoto pipe has both size o2 sensor locations, important if you ever want to install auto tune.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:37 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Someone told me that, among other things, the cat provides exhaust gas separation for each of the two O2 sensors.

They said that when you remove the cat on a stock pipe, you lose this exhaust gas separation, and then O2 sensors can no longer differentiate between what gasses come from the front or rear cylinder.

This, in turn, leads to the ECM blindly making unnecessary adjustments.

Is there any truth to the above statement? I'm now more confused.........

Thanks

Old 04-13-2011, 07:47 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Why do you have to remove the cat to do the DYNO run????

~Joe

Quick Reply: 2011 Street Glide 103": Remove Cat or Buy New Headpipe?