Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD Noob question... Throttle Roll-off Position?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2011, 04:49 PM
Joltergeist
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD Noob question... Throttle Roll-off Position?

I'm the ecstatic owner of a brand new 2011 FLHTC, upgrading from a VTX 1300S. I've had her for 3 days, racked up almost 300 wondrous miles, but have a question about the throttle... My Honda didn't do this, so, I'm not sure what the purpose is...

When the throttle handle is positioned at idle (engine on or off) I can roll the throttle past idle and further 'closed' (?) than where the spring takes the throttle handle back to idle... this doesn't seem to change anything when the engine is idling, cadence, note, idle speed all stay the same...

I can find only *1* mention of "throttle roll-off position" in the owners guide, and that's when one is trying to change the EITMS setting... I have not changed this setting, and whatever the dealer or HD set is the way EITMS is at this time.

Otherwise, I can find nothing about what this is... any ideas? The salesperson at my HD Dealer says it's to control the EITMS myself while riding, but again, there's nothing in the manual about that...

Thanks... any comments are appreciated...

Holt

Old 04-11-2011, 04:59 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

EITMS is the engine heat management system. If you roll it forward and hold it there for approx 5 seconds you will see the cruise control light turn either amber or green.

Amber- heat management off
Green- heat management on, when your engine reaches a certain temp while stationary the rear cylinder will stop firing so less heat is felt on your leg. I always keep mine in green position and it works good.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:05 PM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Originally Posted by fastbagger
EITMS is the engine heat management system. If you roll it forward and hold it there for approx 5 seconds you will see the cruise control light turn either amber or green.

Amber- heat management off
Green- heat management on, when your engine reaches a certain temp while stationary the rear cylinder will stop firing so less heat is felt on your leg. I always keep mine in green position and it works good.
Thanks for the reply... If I'm sitting at a light, and have the throttle in this position for more than 5 seconds... then it will change the EITMS setting? or am I reading that it can only be changed when the engine is not running?

Old 04-11-2011, 05:12 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Engine running while stopped.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:16 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Joltergeist
Thanks for the reply... If I'm sitting at a light, and have the throttle in this position for more than 5 seconds... then it will change the EITMS setting? or am I reading that it can only be changed when the engine is not running?
I believe when the bike is running and you change the EITMS setting, the new setting will only be effective until you turn the ignition off, then the setting will revert to whatever the baseline setting was.

When you change the setting with the ignition on/engine off that becomes the baseline setting and it will remain that way until you change it again.

From the factory the baseline setting is OFF.

The following users liked this post:
garymtx (06-09-2021)
Old 04-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Joltergeist
Cruiser

Very nice! Thanks for explaining this to me...

Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
fastbagger
Road Captain

Whatever the last setting is the bike will remember. If the EITMS is on, you turn bike off, then back on the EITMS will be on.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:20 PM
rdb1976
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another use for the "throttle roll-off" is it eases the action of rolling off the throttle while reaching for the front brake.

Old 04-11-2011, 05:27 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

running or parked it will engage

Old 04-11-2011, 05:34 PM
MADHOG
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's some info that I found awhile back, can't remember where I found it but here it is...

* ENABLING/DISABLING EITMS: 1). Turn the ignition switch to the ON position and push engine OFF/RUN switch to the run position (do not start the bike). 2). Push the throttle to roll-off position and hold. 3). After “approximately” 3 seconds, the cruise indicator lamp will either flash green (EITMS enabled) or red (EITMS disabled). Flashing lamp indicates EITMS setting. A solid (non flashing) lamp indicates cruise control setting. 4). Repeat procedure to enable or disable EITMS. The EITMS setting remains in effect until changed and does not need to be re-done with each start-up.

* Also. the EITMS should automatically activate whenever the bike comes to a complete stop and is idling during elevated temp. This should happen even if you don’t set as described above.

Good info from "2black1s" If you just want the temporary setting then go with this.

Last edited by MADHOG; 04-11-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Quick Reply: HD Noob question... Throttle Roll-off Position?