Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pinging on a 2011 Ultra Limited

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 05:43 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It is not normal and don't let them sell you anything you don't want.

Old 04-29-2011, 05:44 AM
BigGdawg
Club Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need Stage I and a tune it will run properly.

Old 04-29-2011, 06:27 AM
Beechnut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update: had almost empty tank with 87 in it, running slow on a warm day sitting in traffic. Stopped for dinner, filled tank with 91, opened lowers vents, temp outside cooled a lot with evening, road the open highway home. No pinging at all. Guess ill have to spring for a new exhaust system... wasn't going to do that. Oh well...

Old 04-29-2011, 08:20 AM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beechnut
Update: had almost empty tank with 87 in it, running slow on a warm day sitting in traffic. Stopped for dinner, filled tank with 91, opened lowers vents, temp outside cooled a lot with evening, road the open highway home. No pinging at all. Guess ill have to spring for a new exhaust system... wasn't going to do that. Oh well...
What does that mean?? It pinged with 87 octane....it stopped when you fill it with 91 octane and now you have to buy a new exhaust system because why?? If you "wasn't going to do that" then why do you feel you need to now? I'm not following the logic with that.

Old 04-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Beechnut

87?? read your owners manual..........

Old 04-29-2011, 08:42 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Beechnut, I am just south of you here in the Land Of Entrapment. Same issue with my stock 2010 StreetGlide. Best gas I can get here is 91 octane but still have the pinging. Its not there ALL the time but its there and bugs the crap out of me. I just installed a set of FL-eXIEDs from Nightrider hoping that will help. So far with about 150 miles with them it seems like LESS pinging but its still there. Many here suggest it all has to do with what gear you are in, I wont argue that but dont think that is MY problem. Becoming more and more convinced the only real solution is aftermarket exhausts; a/c; and a new tuner of one brand or another. Another $2K just to get this engine to run right and rid of the EPA mandated crap that the MoCo must use.

Old 04-29-2011, 09:34 AM
JCleary
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ONEDOWNAND5UP
Screw your dealer and call Fuel Moto. It will likely be the end of your problems.

Mark
Oh yeah, that's good advice right there...

Seriously. I know FM is a good company and all, but let the dealer try to solve the issue first.

And, if they sell him a PCV, I'm not certain the spark-retard system will still be active. Running good fuel helps.

Last edited by JCleary; 04-29-2011 at 09:36 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 09:37 AM
blusmbl
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Becoming more and more convinced the only real solution is aftermarket exhausts; a/c; and a new tuner of one brand or another. Another $2K just to get this engine to run right and rid of the EPA mandated crap that the MoCo must use.
If it pings on 91 octane with the stock cal at altitude Harley really needs to fix the base calibration.

An A/C and exhaust is just going to make the situation worse, not better (until some form of fuel management is added). The problem is in the calibration, not the parts on the bike.

Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

Yup, your dealer and MoCo should have some kind of documentation of your pre-detonation issues if any other issues ever come up. Let them try to resolve it first. A FM fix would work great but it won't help you with any other future claims/issues...

Old 04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
Beechnut
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, had 87 in it and was the best I could get at the time in Northern Colorado when I needed it. Miss spoke on exhaust.

Quick Reply: Pinging on a 2011 Ultra Limited