Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A lady and her daughter, help please

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 12:31 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A lady and her daughter, help please

I ride a Softail custom, weigh 120 pnds and I want to start bringing my 8 year old daughter on rides. Just about bought a Trike, but would keep my Softail also. My daughter had a ride on the Trike and liked it, but she much prefers a 2 wheel ride. She enjoyed her 2 hr ride on ultra classic.

My dilemma is safety, as safe as possible. I don't feel my custom Softail is the bike to double my daughter with. Several members of HOG said I should just trade my Softail for touring model, but for what? I like chrome, like the full wrap of passenger seat of some of the touring bikes for my daughter, but I still want sporty and fun. If I am going to give up my Softail custom for another 2 wheel, I have to make the right choice. Any suggestions are very welcome. I don't want to keep trading, buying and loosing money. I gotta try to get it right. I won't always have my daughter and love the naughty but nice feel I get when riding my Softail custom. I really can't afford double insurance, maintenance, storage.

Any thoughts?

Warm regards,

purple Daze

Last edited by Purple_Daze; 05-02-2011 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 05-02-2011, 12:39 PM
#1rocketman
Road Captain

If I'm not mistakin....didn't you start this thread awhile back and get alot of feedback?

Old 05-02-2011, 02:30 PM
chateau
Cruiser

A woman your size that rides "any" Harley should feel naughty and nice. I'm a 120# guy and feel a little "bad" when I'm riding my Classic. A good choice for you might be a street glide. Good luck and by all means ride safe.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:41 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

I don't see a big difference in safety between a trike, an Ultra or a Softail (with a good backrest of course).
Seems to me if the weight or seat height of the Ultra makes the Ultra harder for the operator to handle at low speeds then the Softail would be safer for both the operator and passenger. Maybe check into a different seat and/or backrest. Possibly get something custom made.

Old 05-02-2011, 02:51 PM
bikergirl40
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not sure if I understand your connection between the safety aspect and the model of motorcycle.

One model is no 'safer' than the other. Rider skill is the ONLY aspect of safety that matters. Try not to drive beyond your skill and comfort level when you have such a precious cargo.

Last edited by bikergirl40; 05-02-2011 at 02:55 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:10 PM
BigAlsRK
Road Master

Nothing wrong with the Softail......got a buddy of mine that did a 3500 mile round trip from San Antone to Denver (and parts in between) with his wife and some luggage.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:21 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

take riders course to improve your riding skill, you will learn alot to help be safer with your daughter along,also get one of them wrap around back rest for softail,make it detatchable. save money that way have two bikes in one.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:26 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

If your concern is that your daughter might fall off, and assuming you have an adequate backrest/sissy bar, you might consider wearing a belt around your waist, tight enough to be secure but loose enough for your daughter to get a good hand hold on. I've seen pictures of a removable set of arm rests that swivel up so the passenger can get off easily, but I don't remember where I saw them. Perhaps google would produce an answer on the armrests.

Old 05-02-2011, 03:34 PM
Expat1
Road Master
Location: Annemasse (border of Geneva-Switzerland) facing Mt-Blanc.
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi,
Have you heard or read about this harness for children?
http://dansnotremaison.com/trucs-ast...-motocyclette/
Here is the description of the harness:
http://www.admsport.com/achat/bilode...-tien-ti-boute

Old 05-02-2011, 03:53 PM
Purple_Daze
Cruiser

Originally Posted by #1rocketman
If I'm not mistakin....didn't you start this thread awhile back and get alot of feedback?
No, this is the first time I am posting regarding touring models

Quick Reply: A lady and her daughter, help please