Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

'09 RKC vibration issue; 6 months of investigation; still no solution

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 06:24 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

I had an 05 RK that had a runout of 7. Did not notice vibes riding...but at a bit over 50k the engine grenaded. It was under warranty and they remaned it at no cost to me.

Kevin

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 06-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Palau
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Test rode the bike. Changing the motor mounts did not cure the problem. Mechanics appear convinced that the crank shaft run out of 0.008 is not the cause of the issue (I do not necessarily agree). They are going to open and inspect the transmission (via the top door) and also re-evaluate the main transmission bearing. I'm puzzled.

Old 07-04-2011, 08:51 PM
Hiflyer50
6th Gear
Default 2009 Electra

I have the same vibration problem with a knocking feeling in my footpegs and footboards. I have been to two different Harley Dealerships for a total of 4 times, and they cannot figure it out. Only occurs at 2750 rpm and above. Once agian the bike is in the flippin shop. The Harley Rep will be here hopefully this week. I want the crank runout checked. We'll see what happens this week. I'm pissed. Have cancelled 4 long road trips because of this. Have owned Harley's my whole life. These new bikes suck and so does Harley's warranty. I'm tired of the Dealerships telling me that it is normal. I'm a pilot and I asked a HD mechanic to go fly with me. Half way to the airport, I told him that my aircraft engine had a vibration in it. Couldn't find the problem and my guess it was OK. The HD mechanic decided he didn't want to go flying. Go figure.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Palau
Advanced

I finally picked up the bike last night. The dealer replaced the two "door bearings" of the transmission due to excessive play. When I rode the bike home I noticed the same problem as described in the original post.

This last month the bike has been in the shop for 3.5 weeks. The dealer keeps saying that the issue is not the crankshaft. Perhaps he'll change his mind after I tell him that this last go around did not solve the problem.

I'm down to: 1) either going after the crankshaft, or 2) trading in the bike

Last edited by Palau; 07-09-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:41 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

trade it in, if you are worried about screwing the next guy, put up a thread with the vin number in the thread subject line. if the next joe was smart, he'll find the thread and move on to another bike. maybe the dealer will do the crank work once he realizes the vin has been tag as a lemon bike on all the harley forums. enough is enough, when is harley going to get their act together.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Palau
Advanced

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
...<snip> ... enough is enough, when is harley going to get their act together.
I agree that it's been too long. The service manager has been great in digging in deeper; he is the only reason why I have not given up.

Old 07-09-2011, 10:38 AM
stafford
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

figure out a way to blow the damned thing up, then they'll get it fixed.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:48 PM
Hiflyer50
6th Gear
Default Leave it to Harley

My 09 Electra is finally running without the knocking in the footpegs at 3000 rpm. Changed to true dual exhaust and changed out my plug wires from the piece of **** HD stock wires to Screaming Eagle wires. Re-mapped the Power Commander and WALLA, runs without the knocking. 09's do not have a catalitic Converter in the headers but both header pipes run into a chamber. I think this chamber disrups the flow of the exhaust and causes unneccessary back pressure through the exhaust valves. Anyways, problem solved. My local dealer will not uphold their warrenty unless something is actually broke.

Old 07-23-2011, 09:23 AM
GOODMANHD
Stage I
Default Hopeful solution...

I had a similar problem on a Fatboy I had. The vibration was there from the day I bought it new. Several trips to the local Harley shop and everything was always "normal". After I actually sheared a mirror mount in half on a road trip, I went to the Harley dealership in Evansville, Indiana. They inspected my primary chain and found some kind of kink in it. They replaced it and I never had the problem again.

Hope this helps....

Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 AM
Palau
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hiflyer50
... My local dealer will not uphold their warrenty unless something is actually broke ...
This is the same point where I'm at. However, the problem continuous to get worse. I now hear engine noise while riding it. The next step is to hear engine noise at idle, at which they hopefully will tear into the engine.

Quick Reply: '09 RKC vibration issue; 6 months of investigation; still no solution