Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Diamond in the rough!!! Saving a FLHPI

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 12:56 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Diamond in the rough!!! Saving a FLHPI

been out of the harley game for a few years and was ready to start riding again. was looking for another old shovel or possibly another ironhead to get my feet wet. but a deal on this bike was too good to pass up.

2000 Road King Police. the bike has a bunch of add ons and need some TLC (see pics). been collecting some parts and have some time this weekend to get some work done.

routine maintenance will be completed.

buff paint

polish chrome

remove black spray paint from the chromed parts (see pics)

polish, polish, polish

check cam tensioners

confirm or deny it has aftermarket cams

need new tires

all in all i'm happy with the bike. it needs some work but it's just the type of stuff i enjoy doing. it took a bit of will power to not just take it down to the bare frame now and redo everything. but it's great weather for riding. so just going to clean the thing up and get it safe. next winter will be a complete rebuild.

just washed it off and am on my lunch break. here's the base i'm starting with. more to follow tonight and through the weekend.

mistreated paint that's a year old. easy correction

hand controls flaking and oxidized

one of the owners wanted it "blacked out". say no to spray paint on chrome

rediculous exhaust. don't wrap your pipes please. was going to redo this setup with a single slip on but love the dual exhaust with hard bags. so i found some stock exhaust off an 08 and ordered some CFR slip ons. very excited for the new exhaust

oxidized wheels. better pics to come. need help identifying what wheels they are

kind of bummed about the tires. but they're not crazy expensive. more to the list

Old 03-08-2013, 01:08 PM
Keeper01
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like it's got a lot of potential. Keep us updated with pictures of your progress.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,616 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Only way you'll ever get rid of all that rust is strip it down to bare metal frame and work back up. Even then, the frame will be rusting from the inside. At least it would give you a chance to build it the way you'd like. I haven't seen that much rust on a Harley here in Minnesota, where there's no such thing as "too much salt". Nice looking bike otherwise, oughta still have some years left in it.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:16 PM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Old 03-08-2013, 02:08 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hey, congrats...I don't see anything that beer and tunes can't fix. that corrosion in the battery area is caused by gas from the AGM batteries when using a trickle charger...gas above 3psi gets vented and if the bike is not rolling the gas interact acts with metals.....copper within wires get eaten up as well as aluminum off fuses

Old 03-08-2013, 02:14 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

a better pic of the wheels would help in identifying but they look like 05/06 stock road king standard wheels that have been chromed.

as for the bike itself. good find and good work so far man.. whether you buy new or used, you're going to spend $ and work on them.. Might as well get it cheaper on the front end and make it yours.

Old 03-08-2013, 02:26 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

Thanks guys. It'll be a fun project. Nothing too difficult. The rust is 99% surface that you can scratch off with your finger. Should have some good results done today. Even got the wife out here helping!

Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

Oh and bought a craftsman jack that was on sale for $80. Stupid thing sits too high. So have to roll up on 2x4's to get it up. Live and learn on the cheap tools

Old 03-08-2013, 03:46 PM
MIKE93SVT
Road Captain

Here's the wheels. They're aluminum and are going to be saved. Quick test with the power ball showed good results

Old 03-08-2013, 03:49 PM
UltraNutZ
Extreme HDF Member
Received 137 Likes on 108 Posts

yeah those are stockers that have been chromed.

Quick Reply: Diamond in the rough!!! Saving a FLHPI