Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Drive belt alignment (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/654716-drive-belt-alignment.html)

GPS 06-14-2011 06:48 AM

Drive belt alignment

Hello everyone, I have just put new tires and brakes on my 01 Ultra Classic and my question is on belt alignment. Should the belt ride in the middle of the rear sprocket? When I roll the wheel forward the belt always shifts over to the left side of the sprocket, when I roll the wheel backwards it will shift to the inside or right side of the sprocket. I would get binding on the belt when rolling tire backwards, I have since adjusted so the wheel spins freely frontwards and backwards, but the belt still shifts side to side. Just want to make sure this is normal.

Thanks

paguy 06-14-2011 07:05 AM

As long as the belt isn't rubbing, it shouldn't matter which side it rides. BUT, what determines where it rides is the wheel alignment. There are posts on this site that explain how to check alignment. I believe the manual has info on this and you tube.

bohica48 06-14-2011 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by GPS (Post 8450653)
Hello everyone, I have just put new tires and brakes on my 01 Ultra Classic and my question is on belt alignment. Should the belt ride in the middle of the rear sprocket? When I roll the wheel forward the belt always shifts over to the left side of the sprocket, when I roll the wheel backwards it will shift to the inside or right side of the sprocket. I would get binding on the belt when rolling tire backwards, I have since adjusted so the wheel spins freely frontwards and backwards, but the belt still shifts side to side. Just want to make sure this is normal.

Thanks

I'm pretty sure that the side to side is normal, going forward moves left, backing up moves right.

dog155 06-14-2011 07:52 AM

There is an alignment tool the check very easy to make.Checks the between axle centers and swingarm pivot bolts.As long as belt is not making shavings it should be Okay.

Ronp42 06-14-2011 08:23 AM

What Dog155 said, I saw a video on Youtube where the guy made a tool out of a welding rod. Had a 90 degree bend on one end and a small o-ring on the other. He poped the dust covers off the swingarm shaft, hooked the tool in the hole and slid the o-ring to the center of his rear axle shaft, then went and compared to the other side. I just measure with a ruler. Look at the sides of your belt, you can tell if it's been rubbing too hard!!!

gmc 06-14-2011 10:28 AM

There is no alignment for the belt, the front pulley is wide enough to allow the belt to run in alignment with the rear pulley. Make sure your rear wheel is adjusted correctly and your ok. I think most will notice the same effect you do when backing up. You shouldn't have much of a gap on your rear pulley, has the belt been replaced and are you sure you have the right belt on there?

GPS 06-14-2011 07:24 PM

Thanks for the replies, I found the youtube video with the rod and o-ring, will go out to shop and rig one up. I have never replaced the belt and am sure it is still the original, very low miles on 01 bike, anyway the belt definatly does not fill the whole rear sprocket surface.

Thanks again everyone.