Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive belt alignment

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:48 AM
GPS
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drive belt alignment

Hello everyone, I have just put new tires and brakes on my 01 Ultra Classic and my question is on belt alignment. Should the belt ride in the middle of the rear sprocket? When I roll the wheel forward the belt always shifts over to the left side of the sprocket, when I roll the wheel backwards it will shift to the inside or right side of the sprocket. I would get binding on the belt when rolling tire backwards, I have since adjusted so the wheel spins freely frontwards and backwards, but the belt still shifts side to side. Just want to make sure this is normal.

Thanks

Old 06-14-2011, 07:05 AM
paguy
Road Captain

As long as the belt isn't rubbing, it shouldn't matter which side it rides. BUT, what determines where it rides is the wheel alignment. There are posts on this site that explain how to check alignment. I believe the manual has info on this and you tube.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:31 AM
bohica48
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GPS
Hello everyone, I have just put new tires and brakes on my 01 Ultra Classic and my question is on belt alignment. Should the belt ride in the middle of the rear sprocket? When I roll the wheel forward the belt always shifts over to the left side of the sprocket, when I roll the wheel backwards it will shift to the inside or right side of the sprocket. I would get binding on the belt when rolling tire backwards, I have since adjusted so the wheel spins freely frontwards and backwards, but the belt still shifts side to side. Just want to make sure this is normal.

Thanks
I'm pretty sure that the side to side is normal, going forward moves left, backing up moves right.

Old 06-14-2011, 07:52 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

There is an alignment tool the check very easy to make.Checks the between axle centers and swingarm pivot bolts.As long as belt is not making shavings it should be Okay.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:23 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

What Dog155 said, I saw a video on Youtube where the guy made a tool out of a welding rod. Had a 90 degree bend on one end and a small o-ring on the other. He poped the dust covers off the swingarm shaft, hooked the tool in the hole and slid the o-ring to the center of his rear axle shaft, then went and compared to the other side. I just measure with a ruler. Look at the sides of your belt, you can tell if it's been rubbing too hard!!!

Old 06-14-2011, 10:28 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no alignment for the belt, the front pulley is wide enough to allow the belt to run in alignment with the rear pulley. Make sure your rear wheel is adjusted correctly and your ok. I think most will notice the same effect you do when backing up. You shouldn't have much of a gap on your rear pulley, has the belt been replaced and are you sure you have the right belt on there?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:24 PM
GPS
Stage II

Thanks for the replies, I found the youtube video with the rod and o-ring, will go out to shop and rig one up. I have never replaced the belt and am sure it is still the original, very low miles on 01 bike, anyway the belt definatly does not fill the whole rear sprocket surface.

Thanks again everyone.