Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Harley will they negotiate

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:55 AM
ezriderpgh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by klaybus
It's nothing but a numbers game. If your paying cash you definately have an advantage, otherwise work in gear, upgrades or service until you've gotten the price for the bike that you were after. Good luck.
That is not true at all. The dealer actually makes more money if you finance because they get a percentage of your finance charge and they get paid by the finance co. fast, so why would they rather have your cash minus the extra percentage when they will have more cash in hand in a few days?

Old 06-19-2011, 02:21 AM
Crex39
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Some Dealers are pretty old skool when it comes to negotiations. Back about 3 years ago, a dealer in my area had a Heritage Softail I liked. Blue book was 12k on the bike and they were asking 13.2k. I tried to get them to at least split the difference with me at 12.5k. The owner's wife looked at me with a look of disgust and told me "if you need to negotiate, you can't afford a Harley." That dealer is about 5 miles from my house. Another dealer about 12 miles away sold me a 2003 Superglide at a reasonable price,just recently, they had a 2006 E.G. Classic asking 14k, we worked it down to 12.7k. I bought it. To this day if my bike were to break down in front of that first dealer and a $10 part is all I needed to get it running, I would hitch hike to dealer #2, buy the part, and hitch hike back to my bike and get it running. It is short sighted for a dealer to not at least appear to negotiate a little, because when they sell the bike, they will make a s ton of money on you with service, parts, accessories etc.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:22 AM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

This varies so greatly. Ya just have to do aks and dicker. I know my dealer is loyal to HDs msrp but will knock of the prep and shipping fee. Each dealer is so different and depends on time of year, how many bikes they have etc. So just go and act like they will deal.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:40 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Went in to the dealer just to look, I saw some ultra Classics for $35K, I about pee'd myself.
my 02 was half that price.
I don't know about all you folks, I don't have trouble paying bills, but man! what a sticker shock!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:01 AM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In addition to the great info from other posters, you may have a better chance when the 2012 hit the floor the end of July. They will be pushing to get the 2011's off the floor.

I did this last year and it worked out well. Good Luck!

Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 AM
93flhtcu
Tourer
Default new 2011 limited

2 weeks ago I was riding around on my perfectly good 2009 ultra with 24,000 miles on it. I happened to stop at a dealership having demo rides. I took a ride on a 2011 ultra limited and somehow got the bug to see what they would do on a trade. That dealer wanted my bike and $7000 out the door. I got curious and spent the next week checking the 4 other dealers in our area. The next dealer wanted $8100.00. The third dealer wanted $5500.00 . I was getting tempted,but there was nothing wrong with my 2009 . I finally went to the dealer who sold me 2 previous bikes and they made me a deal that was almost to good to be true. My bike (bone stock all mods removed) and $4000.00 out the door plus they agreed to throw in the 5 year extended warranty. Well I now own a 2011 ultra limited. I feel like I got a great deal and must have bought at just the right time.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:38 AM
blackline
Intermediate

Just brought a new softail. I negotiated a out the door price. MSRP + Frieght + setup +Tax,tag,title and dealer fee. 1st dealer was at $17,400, 2nd dealer was at $17,000, 3rd dealer was at $16,000. It pays to shop around. Good look.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:43 AM
blackline
Intermediate

One more thing HD credit gave me 3.99% on financing. I think that deal might still be going on. But make sure you ask the dealer, because some dealers don't advertise it and if you don't ask you will not receive.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:54 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by blackline
One more thing HD credit gave me 3.99% on financing. I think that deal might still be going on. But make sure you ask the dealer, because some dealers don't advertise it and if you don't ask you will not receive.
yep still going on - through June

3.99% for 48 mos on all new Harleys

Old 06-19-2011, 09:50 AM
990rtracer
Road Captain
Received 46 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by ezriderpgh
That is not true at all. The dealer actually makes more money if you finance because they get a percentage of your finance charge and they get paid by the finance co. fast, so why would they rather have your cash minus the extra percentage when they will have more cash in hand in a few days?

I agree 110% they almost ALWAYS make more on the credit deal and it gives them more leeway to keep there extra hidden costs in there in most cases, credit buyers are more impulsive.

Quick Reply: First Harley will they negotiate