Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need to rethink stereo upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by Copyless
I would use the elf amp that you say is rated for 2 ohm and run it the way you have had it all the time, @1.5 ohm. The e2125x should handle your original set up without any hesitation.

I have now checked the specs for the 2125 and I am sure you'll be fine.
That would be very convenient! The Hogtunes speakers are rated lower (50W) than the Elf amp (75W), although I doubt if I'd ever have it pumped-up that much to harm the speakers. I'm not sure what the rating is on the Tweeter Pods.

I may give this a try, then if the speakers aren't up to the task I'll look into something else, like maybe the J&M's.

You guys are giving me some good advice! Just what I needed.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
That would be very convenient! The Hogtunes speakers are rated lower (50W) than the Elf amp (75W), although I doubt if I'd ever have it pumped-up that much to harm the speakers. I'm not sure what the rating is on the Tweeter Pods.

I may give this a try, then if the speakers aren't up to the task I'll look into something else, like maybe the J&M's.

You guys are giving me some good advice! Just what I needed.
That's your ticket right there, so order the amp, I think the 135 is a deal also, I looked up the seller and may purchase one myself. Although I have just installed the Hogtunes, and have the Bazooka brand new in the box still sitting here, ah heck one more won't hurt anything.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:47 PM
SICKBAGGER
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

So which speakers are in the fairing? Anyway, that's another vote for the J&M.

Running the 7.25's in the fairing

I need to look at this one.

Yes I agree I want to look into it more when someone has used it.

What are Hearing Halters? I'd be interested in ear plugs that would filter out the road and exhaust noise, yet allow music frequencies through. I think that may be impossible since music uses the entire audio spectrum.
I am using the ear Pro 3's and love em you can get on amazon pretty cheap. http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts

Old 06-19-2011, 09:46 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Copyless
That's your ticket right there, so order the amp, I think the 135 is a deal also, I looked up the seller and may purchase one myself. Although I have just installed the Hogtunes, and have the Bazooka brand new in the box still sitting here, ah heck one more won't hurt anything.
The Elf and Vibe both look essentially the same, with only minor variations. The Vibe is $5 more but has a one-year warranty vs. 6-mo. for the Elf (refurb). Also, the Vibe has a 3-yr. extended warranty for only $17, which might be worth buying. The fine-print on the Vibe says the warranty is good only if installed by an "authorized Vibe dealer," so if they hold firm to that you may be screwed if you get a bad one.

What's your gut feeling between the two? I had a feeling running 1.5Ω wouldn't be a problem, as with the Tweeter Pods the head unit would be running that impedance. I don't think HT would configure them this way if they destroyed the head units.

Old 06-19-2011, 09:56 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by SICKBAGGER
I am using the ear Pro 3's and love em you can get on amazon pretty cheap. http://www.surefire.com/EarProProducts
I'll get some of those. They're on the Home Depot site, but don't say if they're in the stores. I'll run by a local store tomorrow and check.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 PM
Copyless
Supporter
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are worried about the 6 month warranty (which I'm sure if it last 6 months it will last 1 year, so to me not a difference) then you could buy a square trade warranty on the eBay item, they may provide 3 yrs for around $20 also.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
arlinsg
Road Captain
Received 128 Likes on 83 Posts

The one thing about the Vibe is, I did have to do some modification to install it.
I had to use a hammer and chisel on my Tach and Speedo housing to make it fit.
Seriously, I did have to trim them back a bit with a Dremel.
So maybe the Elf would be better, as I believe it will fit with no mods.
I haven't heard an Elf, but the Vibe I have is set up so I can hear it clearly at 70 mph, showing 4 bars on the HK, this is with ear plugs and a FF.

Bob

Old 06-19-2011, 11:49 PM
Hoblick
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

scheck out the Polk MM 6501 Components.. i just installed these in my street glide and holy **** do they sound good. I had J&M speakers in there before i upgraded.

its a pretty easy install and the clarity and bass is much improved.. i actually have bass now!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:58 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

The Elf E2125X I am looking at on Ebay is a 2-channel amp. That's okay as long as I can get the impedance matched up right. Isn't the 125.2 made by Arc? I think it's the same amp, but the Elf is considerably cheaper.
I use that elf amp I had one issue with the low, mid, full switch it was just loose enough that sometimes it would vibrate. At first I thought I had a loose wire on speaker(s) then it would be fine for long periods of time so I never investigated until I changed the front fork springs and installed a sony marine head unit. I finally figured out what the intermittent problem was. The way I fixed it was a little dab of silicone around the switch. Even with that little problem I would not hesitate to buy another elf amp. But I personally think the components and general quality is probably better with the arc amp. To me it sounds like the Elf amp would be a good choice for you.

Old 06-20-2011, 03:22 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

you can take a quick look at post # 90

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...cs-here-3.html

My follow up on the Jm speakers I am not sure I would buy again. I would take a listen to the Rokkers but I am not going to spend the money to hear them. I can wait until I run into some to hear.

Quick Reply: Need to rethink stereo upgrades