Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Quieting down Reinhart True Duals

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2011, 09:19 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Quieting down Reinhart True Duals

Anybody have any luck quieting these pipes down? I have an aggressive cam (S&S 585) and these things on a trip are really starting to become annoying. Short of going to another full exhaust replacement I am curious if anyone has had the same issues and found a solution? I have heard that the quiet baffles really do not do much. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyone know if there is another company that makes a slip on for these head pipes?

Last edited by SpiderPig; 06-25-2011 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2011, 10:20 PM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I tried to quiet them down but no luck. Bought quiet baffle and not much quieter but also sounded like a freakin Honda with loud pipes. Took those in in about 20 minutes. Also bought some baffle wrap material and it did absolutely nothing. Those pipes just get loud with a cam.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:48 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Can't give you any empirical data, and the difference wasn't on the "WOW!!!" level, but I did wrap the RTD baffles with a ceramic fabric baffle material that seemed to lower the bark a fair amount; somewhat quieter; for lack of a better term, the familiar RTD crisp bark has been muffled somewhat. Much easier on my ears at speed. Even wearing a 3/4 helmet, the noise was getting to me; hence, the baffle wrap.

Carl

Old 06-25-2011, 11:20 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Anybody have any luck quieting these pipes down? I have an aggressive cam (S&S 585) and these things on a trip are really starting to become annoying. Short of going to another full exhaust replacement I am curious if anyone has had the same issues and found a solution? I have heard that the quiet baffles really do not do much. Any help or feedback would be greatly appreciated. Anyone know if there is another company that makes a slip on for these head pipes?

if u have a full rinehart system meaning your head pipes are rinehart also thats means they are 2 inch from front to rear. dont know of anyone who makes a 2 inch out let on there mufflers. someone should chime in here and tell ya if they do or not.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 AM
PostalRoadKing
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same issue with my Rineharts. Tried the baffle wrap and it didn't help. Ended up going with the Bub 7 Stealth slip ons. They fit the 2" pipes and I think they sound pretty good. They have a nice sound to them when accelerating, not the bark of the Rineharts but nice anyway, and at speed they are nowhere near as loud.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:55 AM
isac
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you tried earplugs ?. I had the same problem as you until I started to use earplugs , I can hear the tunes much better and even the bike sounds better and I'm much more comfy on long rides. Best of both worlds.

Old 06-26-2011, 08:00 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Yes, I do wear ear plugs which help. Still want to quiet them down. Great suggestions on the ceramic wrap. Where is this available at? And the Bub 7 Stealths might be an option to look at as they are a 2" head pipe.

Old 06-26-2011, 09:02 AM
ncdan
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same issues, after an hour of ridding highway speeds of 70 plus the noise level became a confort issue. I took my stock mufflers and punched a one inch hole in both front and rear baffle ends on both ends. they sound great with a nice low tone rumble. I had my tuner to remap and there was very little change between the sampsons and the modified stock mufflers.

Old 06-26-2011, 02:58 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

There's always a way to quiet down mufflers if you can remove the baffles to modify them.
Here's an interesting article I found a while back on modding baffles.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/vhbagger_shhh.htm
Another old trick is to remove the baffles , peel the packing and cross drill the baffle for a 1/4" bolt. The bolt would be installed maybe 3" forward from the rear of the baffle.
The bolt needs to have a small head and the nut would have to be thin also.
The bolt provides a restriction to flow and generally tones it down a bit , also increases back pressure.
If that seems pretty good , you could use a 5/16" or 3/8" bolt instead to tone it down more.
It's a pity that the reinharts don't have smaller baffle sizes like can be used in rush or other makes.
They're pretty big and generally loud , although beautiful mufflers , they can be "intense" compared to some others out there.
I did the wompus type redirect from scratch for a buddies stock mufflers , I built the tubes and everything , but it was some real work to get it right.
Good luck
Mick

Old 06-26-2011, 04:05 PM
dstrat1
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I tried everything, wrapped them, drilled amd rewrapped them, welded in a forced bypass and wrapped them....now I have stock pipes, 85 dollars on ebay, and I like them alot better......

Quick Reply: Quieting down Reinhart True Duals