Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trailer in a bag

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 12:44 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 795 Likes on 606 Posts

The northern tool weight capacity would not be sufficient for most harleys since it is rated at 700 pounds.
The USA trailer product seems like a good product but it is a bit bulkier for storage. Although truthfully about the same if the plan is to store at a horizontal on the floor as opposed to separate parts in different locations, It does not have a Condor chock so loading is more difficult and i did not see an option for a floor to push against. Rolling/pushing a bike up or down a ramp is rather difficult and once it starts leaning(one missed step) it will go down/fall easily. The larger tires probably provide less feed-back from the road and the frame seems more unified so it may have less vibration..I wonder what class/rated trailer hitch it requires? 1 or 2 because that could make a difference with tow vehicle. The price point seems correct..On a side note:i see people mention the small wheels and tires on the trailer in a bag. They seems to be weight rated much higher, have a greater number of ply's and overall exceed the harbor freight trailer specifications i have seen...The bearings are rated for much more than they are used for in this situation. I have noticed that while the rim size is 8 inch the actual outside circle of the rubber tire is about 17 inches..seems like the swivel wheel trailer companies are using similar rated tires...i think people are comparing to old small boat and jet ski trailers with the little tiny thin tires that got really hot and then when rolled into the cool/cold lake/water would get all messed up. In the end, towing is no fun but sometimes it is needed. Seems like storage is sometimes an issue.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:14 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by im
The northern tool weight capacity would not be sufficient for most harleys since it is rated at 700 pounds.
I was concerned about the load capacity but my FXDC weighs 645 lbs so for my specific application I should be ok. I'm just so frustrated that I can't just rent one when needed.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:39 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by tcatnat
I was concerned about the load capacity but my FXDC weighs 645 lbs so for my specific application I should be ok. I'm just so frustrated that I can't just rent one when needed.
That really gives no room (rather tight specs.) on the weight limit situation since you will have fuel in the tank, oil and strap downs for the bike along with maybe a lock or two. You would have less than 50 pounds left with the northern tool trailer. Rentals are cool but sometimes they are not available (like for an event) or the ford explorer issue.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:41 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

have you considered the Stinger? http://www.stingertrailer.com/

Old 08-19-2011, 04:54 PM
peddler
Club Member
Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Chas63
I recently rented a U-Haul trailer to tow my Harley from Florida to Tennessee. They charged me for 4 days even though I used only 3 days. The cost was $168 which figures out to about $42 per day. Wish I could rent one for $15 per day.
There is a U-Haul motorcycle trailer you can rent for $15 a day however you have to return it to the location where you picked it up. It's more than capable of towing an Ultra.

I'm the kind of person that doesn't like pushing trailer specs. In my humble, yet often voiced, opinion I believe a 900lb Ultra belongs on a trailer with a 2,000 lb max load not a trailer with a 700lb. max load. Will a Northern Tool trailer work with an Ultra? Maybe. Just not my Ultra.

Different strokes, different folks.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:33 PM
OnTheFence
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Emergencies aside who wants to pull a bike when you can just ride it to where you are going. If I needed the bike and a car at the same place. The little woman can follow me in the car.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:38 PM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by OnTheFence
Emergencies aside who wants to pull a bike when you can just ride it to where you are going. If I needed the bike and a car at the same place. The little woman can follow me in the car.
that might work for you, but there are some of us without "a little woman" (Thank God). some of us have the need to carry more than a bike will hold. and some of us, because of health reasons, just can't ride the distances necessary to get where we're going.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:42 PM
tcatnat
Road Master
Received 134 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by peddler
There is I'm the kind of person that doesn't like pushing trailer specs. In my humble, yet often voiced, opinion I believe a 900lb Ultra belongs on a trailer with a 2,000 lb max load not a trailer with a 700lb. max load. Will a Northern Tool trailer work with an Ultra? Maybe. Just not my Ultra.
Agreed, I hate pushing specs which is one of the reasons I didn't buy the Northern Tool trailer already. I keep seeing that little video screen in the back of my head that keeps replaying a 5 second clip of my bike grinding down the interstate on its side as I watch in the rear view mirror because the trailer couldn't hold up.

Everyone here has given a wide variety of options so I'll start reviewing them all; trying to be frugal but not stupid.

Thanks.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
sbledsoe
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought a used enclosed trailer for $1800....dont think I would spend $1200 on a trailer in a bag ....JMO

Old 08-23-2011, 08:12 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by sbledsoe
I bought a used enclosed trailer for $1800....dont think I would spend $1200 on a trailer in a bag ....JMO
That is a better situation but sometimes storage of an enclosed trailer is not an option.

Quick Reply: trailer in a bag