Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Harley ECM Download

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 06:28 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the information. It's a little more than I thought, but I may bite the bullet anyway. Been down the add-on device route with less than stellar results. This time as an experiment I wanted to try going all Harley.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:33 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I just had the download done at my dealer for about $175.00 and am very pleased. I have the SE Intake, Download, and FatShotz slip-ons and they do a great job of opening up the engine with a modest improvement in performance. I'm very pleased. Despite what others might tell you, the Download really does make a difference, and it has the advantage of local dealer warranty.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:41 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
I just had the download done at my dealer for about $175.00 and am very pleased. I have the SE Intake, Download, and FatShotz slip-ons and they do a great job of opening up the engine with a modest improvement in performance. I'm very pleased. Despite what others might tell you, the Download really does make a difference, and it has the advantage of local dealer warranty.

Exactly what difference do you think it made?

Old 07-28-2011, 06:43 PM
SkipCarey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IT Does not change any AFR settings(EPA REGS) it only changes some timing settings, IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY............it takes less than 5 min its ONE of the biggest scams harleys got goin right now and I emphasize one there are others.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:45 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have it. Bike runs good. A littte pinging after 100 miles or so when it 90 degrees and humid.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:00 PM
the4thgearkid
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkipCarey
IT Does not change any AFR settings(EPA REGS) it only changes some timing settings, IT IS A WASTE OF MONEY............it takes less than 5 min its ONE of the biggest scams harleys got goin right now and I emphasize one there are others.
so are you telling me that I could change my pipes to screaming eagle, the stock air filter to a high-flow screaming eagle and do nothing else, and the ECM will calibrate the changes?

Old 07-28-2011, 07:01 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

The HD Download helped the engine to run just a tad cooler, totally stopped all pinging, and coupled with the SE Intake and FatShotz mufflers seemed to help the engine breathe better. The throttle response seems "snappier" and the engine seems to pull a bit more aggressively. For about $750, that seems like a pretty good value.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:16 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pettifogger1
Thanks for the information. It's a little more than I thought, but I may bite the bullet anyway. Been down the add-on device route with less than stellar results. This time as an experiment I wanted to try going all Harley.
Yep, the dealers in the valley are likely going to charge you $150 for the download and a half-hour labor... just about two bills.

If you want to go all Harley, they do sell two H-D branded tuners:

Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Tuner (41000008) - which simply allows you to connect it between your PC running the software and your ECM and reflash it with canned maps that attempt to match the components you've changed.

Screamin' Eagle Pro Super Tuner (32109-08B) - which allows you to connect between your PC and the ECM and reflash it with either a canned map or one that you modified with the software.

Neither tuner stays attached to the scoot longer than to flash the ECM, or to record data in the case of the Pro tuner (for use with Smart Tune).

Software and cables are extra.

The dealer is going to use the latter to reflash your ECM with a canned map. Well, a similar one. The one you buy is married to your ECM - theirs isn't. These canned maps are all on the software CD. As someone noted earlier, the canned maps do not alter the AFR, keeping it in the EPA-sanctioned lean zone.

Some folks are completely happy with a canned map.

Last edited by pargenz; 07-28-2011 at 07:26 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 07:48 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by the4thgearkid
so are you telling me that I could change my pipes to screaming eagle, the stock air filter to a high-flow screaming eagle and do nothing else, and the ECM will calibrate the changes?
During closed loop operation, yes. That is exactly what he is telling you. The download does not change the closed loop bias settings, but it makes some slight timing changes, and it raises the rev limit. It's not worth 10 bucks, much less 150-200 bucks.

There is some pretty good information on this on the nightrider website, and American Iron magazine also ran a story on this a couple of years ago. The ecm will adjust your air/fuel ratio to keep it in the same (too lean) condition it comes from with stock air cleaner and exhaust.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:56 PM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

The HD Download helped the engine to run just a tad cooler, totally stopped all pinging, and coupled with the SE Intake and FatShotz mufflers seemed to help the engine breathe better. The throttle response seems "snappier" and the engine seems to pull a bit more
aggressively. For about $750, that seems like a pretty good
value.
If you feel the download is worthwhile I assume you made the pipe and AC change, rode the bike and evaluated, then had the HD download done and re-evaluated the bike?

Quick Reply: Cost of Harley ECM Download