Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cost of Harley ECM Download

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good information here for people new to Harley (such as myself)

I understand that the download mandates that EPA guidelines are still in place (ie:lean)

No if you have the Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Tuner used is it the same result as in HD will still keep things on the lean side to meet EPA??

Old 07-28-2011, 09:22 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Actually Port Dawg, it's hard to tell whether this is good information or not. Most of us try stuff, see if it works, stick with it or try something else, and eventually reach a level of satisfaction with how our bikes are running. The goal is to do that without getting a second mortgage on the house!

Unfortunately, technicians at our local HD shops are as opinionated and sometimes misinformed as we are, so it's hard to figure who to trust and what information is really accurate. But spend enough time on the forum and you can reach some fairly good conclusions about what gear is of high quality and what is not.

But fair warning: Don't ever ask a question about which oil to use or what windshield is best!

Old 07-28-2011, 09:26 PM
Gadgetech
Club Member
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts

$150 in Greenville, SC. I just got a TTS in case I ever make other changes.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:34 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

You might try calling around. Chesters, Superstition or Chandler HD. I bought my 2010 UC from Superstition and even though their prices weren't nothing to brag about I was always happy they at least used grease.

Old 07-28-2011, 10:28 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
Good information here for people new to Harley (such as myself)

I understand that the download mandates that EPA guidelines are still in place (ie:lean)

No if you have the Screamin' Eagle Street Performance Tuner used is it the same result as in HD will still keep things on the lean side to meet EPA??
I don't think so. In the HD catalog, under the race tuner I believe it says for race applications only. and epa doesn't apply, but don't tell algore.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:40 PM
ppalmerjr
Cruiser

I had the PCV on my bike and then had a warranty claim and they told me to remove it or they wouldn't cover anything in the future. I removed it and then had the ECM download and the bike ran MUCH MUCH better with the PCV. I lost a lot of power and maybe it's in my head but the bike just doesn't sound the same either.

I guess I'll wait until the warranty is over and then put the PCV back on.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:52 PM
pettifogger1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tried another dealer here in Phoenix. $150.00 to buy the download and 1 hour labor ($85.00) to install it! $235.00! I thought the first dealer was nuts at $200.00. I'm reluctantly starting to believe the "it's a waste of money" group might be right.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
big ears
Tourer

I run Cobra tri ovals and Ness Big Sucker on my 09 ultra. Started first with just the slipons and added the intake about 10,000miles later. No download and no tuner. Runs fine, no pinging, heat mgt never comes on. Several knowledgeable people say the 09s don't need a tuner for just pipes and high flow intake. I seem to be doing ok. Will get a tuner when I put in some healthier cams.

Old 07-29-2011, 07:17 PM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by the4thgearkid
so are you telling me that I could change my pipes to screaming eagle, the stock air filter to a high-flow screaming eagle and do nothing else, and the ECM will calibrate the changes?
Yes and no. The factory air/fuel mix will be maintained by the ECM. You need to change from the factory A/F specs. The dealer download/flash WILL NOT do that. They are agents of the manufacturer and can not richen the mixture beyond EPA specs. The cheapest way to do this is to put on Xied's, as long as you are not planning cams and/or headwork. If planning this, get a good tuner.

Lots of good reading at nightrider.com. Google it or google Xied's.

Old 07-29-2011, 08:25 PM
WEINERDOGBONE
Road Warrior
Received 74 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
If you feel the download is worthwhile I assume you made the pipe and AC change, rode the bike and evaluated, then had the HD download done and re-evaluated the bike?
I went from a PCV to the HD download and there is not one lick of difference in the bike performance except that the bike starts and idles properly now. The ECM flash worked for me. I don't know why you are adamantly opposed to it but, I have plenty of experience with both and I like the download.

Quick Reply: Cost of Harley ECM Download