Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H.D. premium ride shocks.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 09:50 PM
Buckinfitch
Supporter
Received 4,081 Likes on 1,514 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1450
I am so pissed at the Motor Company for making an Electra "GLIDE" with crap suspension so that they can sell you a set of "premium ride" shocks. I thought the 20 plus grand was for a bike with a premium ride.
I'll be replacing the shocks on my '09 but I'll be damed if I give the money to HD, I'll be buying Olins.
.................................................. .................................................. ............. .........

HD air shocks are going in the trash

Old 08-07-2011, 10:13 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,929 Likes on 740 Posts

Originally Posted by springer 03
The way the sentiment runs around here a person would think that Harley makes nothing but junk and we all are fools for buying. The air ride shocks aren't perfect but aren't that bad. I've heard some good things about the premium rides and I'll have first hand experience come next week. Stay tuned.
If the stock Harley air shocks aren't that bad, why are you changing them?

When all these guys get on the forum and talk up Ohlins shocks, it's not because we work for Ohlins, or because Howard is paying us. We're doing it because we've already experienced the lousy stock air shocks, and usually another pair of shocks (Progressives for me) in the interim, before we bought the Ohlins.

We're just trying to pass that experience and knowledge on to you...to possibly save you time and money. If you don't want to take our advice, then go ahead and buy another pair of Harley shocks...for $500.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:21 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
I would like to improve my ride BUT hate to spend that much money. I was thinking about the HD prem ride but just can't get over the fact the the L & R shock preforms two different functions. Rebound & compression. They are made by KYB from what I was told by Parts guy. I do understand that the swing arm has been stiffened up. Keep us informed. good luck
The sticker on the shocks says they are made by Showa.

Old 08-07-2011, 10:22 PM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Springers 03 got them for half price people so don't be a hater. (less if you consider sales tax)
I should know he bought, them from me.
I had them on the bike I traded in and didn't need them anymore. He'll be happy.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:39 AM
Twinrider
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dc1450
I am so pissed at the Motor Company for making an Electra "GLIDE" with crap suspension so that they can sell you a set of "premium ride" shocks. I thought the 20 plus grand was for a bike with a premium ride.
I'll be replacing the shocks on my '09 but I'll be damed if I give the money to HD, I'll be buying Olins.
Didn't mean to rain on your parade but it seems profit at the Mo Co is more important than customer satisfaction. Good luck with your shocks man.
While HD's air shocks are nothing to write home about, when adjusted properly they are about par with what comes stock on most touring bikes. I've owned more than 40 motorcycles, many of them premium motorcycles from other makes besides HD, and I can tell you that all of them come with budget suspension. Go to any BMW or any of the bike forums and you'll see lots of threads about suspension upgrades.

I was considering going with the Ohlins as I have had them on a number of my bikes and they are excellent shocks, but I wanted the hand-adjustable preload **** as I ride about 50/50 solo and tandem and want to be able to make quick, tool-less adjustments to the preload. So I ordered the standard length premium ride shocks for $424 with free shipping.

I'll post up my thoughts on them once I get a chance to use them. If they suck you guys will be the first to know and I'll be phoning Howard...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:55 AM
dc1450
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I still have my '05 Road Glide with the stock air shocks and 72,000 miles on it. The bike rides like a baby carriage. The problem is that HD never re-calibrated the shocks for the stiffer frame. The new bikes handle way better and are way smoother but, ride like a truck, an old truck. Then they have the gaul to make the suspension that should have come with the bike an accessory that you can buy.

Old 08-08-2011, 11:57 AM
stratplexi
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,004 Likes on 517 Posts

I like the OEM shocks on my Ultra...no need to upgrade IMHO.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Another Ohlins customer of Howards here. I spent ages researching shocks on HDF and made a number of observations. One is that there are some riders who are perfectly happy with their ride on stock shocks, yet others are very unhappy - I see no way of pleasing everyone. Another observation is that ride quality when 2-up is very different to riding solo, but very few of us make that distinction when commenting on ride quality. I suspect solo riders will be happy with ANY shock! Some HDF members have fitted many different shocks, at great personal expense. I decided to take a short cut, skip all the other alternatives, save a lot of time and cash and go for gold! Mrs B is VERY happy queening it up out the back there!

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
springer 03
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've heard that Ohlins were pretty good. Has anybody tried the premium shocks by H.D. and not liked them?

Old 08-08-2011, 04:53 PM
hornhonker
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by springer 03
I've heard that Ohlins were pretty good. Has anybody tried the premium shocks by H.D. and not liked them?
Many would suggest that Ohlins are for now the very best out there. I guess we really need an Ohlins owner to test the HD premium shocks and give us some
comparisons.

Quick Reply: H.D. premium ride shocks.