Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Touring Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models-11/)
-   -   Hard Saddlebags. Do you lock them everytime you ride? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touring-models/675084-hard-saddlebags-do-you-lock-them-everytime-you-ride.html)

myillearth 08-08-2011 03:12 PM

Hard Saddlebags. Do you lock them everytime you ride?

I will from now on. Never read where you are supposed to but! Yesterday I went for a 30 mile ride. Some back-roads and some highway. when I got off the interstate and stopped at a red-light I noticed my right side bag was totally flipped open and the left side was unlatched. Truck pulled up beside me and confirmed it had opened up about a mile back.

Closed them, locked them and rode on.

Just a word of caution for those with hard bags.

Sharknose 08-08-2011 03:16 PM

Never had that problem, but I always check that the catches on the backs of the lids are engaged when I close them.

Brooklyn Devil Dog 08-08-2011 03:19 PM

Hit a decent-enough bump or pothole and they WILL pop open, and at speed, all your shit goes flying out. I always lock them. Damn good habit to get into.

Redbeard719 08-08-2011 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by myillearth (Post 8671514)
I will from now on. Never read where you are supposed to but! Yesterday I went for a 30 mile ride. Some back-roads and some highway. when I got off the interstate and stopped at a red-light I noticed my right side bag was totally flipped open and the left side was unlatched. Truck pulled up beside me and confirmed it had opened up about a mile back.

Closed them, locked them and rode on.

Just a word of caution for those with hard bags.

I lock them every time for that reason. Had a bag pop open on an expansion joint once, and lock every time since....

Handlebarmike 08-08-2011 03:27 PM

Yup.. they WILL come open.... lock & check again.

whiskyls1 08-08-2011 03:31 PM

I make sure mine are latched shut properly every single time...but they did pop open once.

beary 08-08-2011 03:35 PM

I never lock my bags and never had a problem. Didn't know that it could happen until I saw this thread. I followed a SG a few miles on the highway last year with one bag open. I thought he was doing it on purpose, next time I see a bag open I will try to point it out to the rider.

Beary

jeffreydsilver 08-08-2011 03:41 PM

Leave Em Locked

I leave them locked all the time. It's easier than trying to remember if I locked them where ever I go. I carry around some crap (rain suit, gloves cable locks, EZ pass, etc.) and wouldn't want to have them stolen.

scottiebe 08-08-2011 03:50 PM

when i bought my first bagger, in 09 (bought it new) dealer told me to make sure i keep the bags locked for the first 800 miles or so, the reason i was told is because the seals are still new and not "broken in" yet. now this did make sense, but at the same time none at all, anyhow, having never owned hard bags, what did i know....so i made sure for the first 800 miles i kept the bags locked.....well here i am 3 years later and some odd thousand miles, and my bags are still always locked. by the time i hit the first 800 miles, it was already a habit.

NewAge 08-08-2011 03:51 PM

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I have a set of inner bags so even if they pop open (which it did happen once to me) my shiznit stays put. As long as the inner bags are zipped closed, I have peace of mind if I forget to lock the bags.