Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hard Saddlebags. Do you lock them everytime you ride?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:12 PM
myillearth
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Hard Saddlebags. Do you lock them everytime you ride?

I will from now on. Never read where you are supposed to but! Yesterday I went for a 30 mile ride. Some back-roads and some highway. when I got off the interstate and stopped at a red-light I noticed my right side bag was totally flipped open and the left side was unlatched. Truck pulled up beside me and confirmed it had opened up about a mile back.

Closed them, locked them and rode on.

Just a word of caution for those with hard bags.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Never had that problem, but I always check that the catches on the backs of the lids are engaged when I close them.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:19 PM
Brooklyn Devil Dog
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hit a decent-enough bump or pothole and they WILL pop open, and at speed, all your **** goes flying out. I always lock them. Damn good habit to get into.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,220 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by myillearth
I will from now on. Never read where you are supposed to but! Yesterday I went for a 30 mile ride. Some back-roads and some highway. when I got off the interstate and stopped at a red-light I noticed my right side bag was totally flipped open and the left side was unlatched. Truck pulled up beside me and confirmed it had opened up about a mile back.

Closed them, locked them and rode on.

Just a word of caution for those with hard bags.

I lock them every time for that reason. Had a bag pop open on an expansion joint once, and lock every time since....

Old 08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Handlebarmike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup.. they WILL come open.... lock & check again.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:31 PM
whiskyls1
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I make sure mine are latched shut properly every single time...but they did pop open once.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I never lock my bags and never had a problem. Didn't know that it could happen until I saw this thread. I followed a SG a few miles on the highway last year with one bag open. I thought he was doing it on purpose, next time I see a bag open I will try to point it out to the rider.

Beary

Old 08-08-2011, 03:41 PM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts
Default Leave Em Locked

I leave them locked all the time. It's easier than trying to remember if I locked them where ever I go. I carry around some crap (rain suit, gloves cable locks, EZ pass, etc.) and wouldn't want to have them stolen.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:50 PM
scottiebe
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when i bought my first bagger, in 09 (bought it new) dealer told me to make sure i keep the bags locked for the first 800 miles or so, the reason i was told is because the seals are still new and not "broken in" yet. now this did make sense, but at the same time none at all, anyhow, having never owned hard bags, what did i know....so i made sure for the first 800 miles i kept the bags locked.....well here i am 3 years later and some odd thousand miles, and my bags are still always locked. by the time i hit the first 800 miles, it was already a habit.

Old 08-08-2011, 03:51 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't. I have a set of inner bags so even if they pop open (which it did happen once to me) my shiznit stays put. As long as the inner bags are zipped closed, I have peace of mind if I forget to lock the bags.

Quick Reply: Hard Saddlebags. Do you lock them everytime you ride?