Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 12:37 PM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gipper
Hoping that your experience is more pleasant than mine was.
Care to elaborate?

I'm still reading and absorbing knowledge before I make that call, so I know what I want, but I'll certainly report back on my experience.

Old 11-13-2013, 12:39 PM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced

Originally Posted by rg_dave
I bought a set of 3-3s from howard when I had my streetglide. I guess I am in the minority but Howard and I had several good conversations. We talked about Daytona and even a bit about my TZ250 that I raced at one time. I enjoyed talking with him. I had spent significant time reading his and other sites on how shocks worked. His customer service was amazing. I knew where my purchase was every step of the way. My order was delivered the same week. He walked me through the installation. 1000 miles later he helped me fine tune the shocks on a Sunday! I had a couple of things turned around in my head and he didn't belittle me or talk down to me he just walked me through what I needed to do. He didn't kiss my *** but I didn't expect that. Overall it was an excellent purchase with excellent service.
I'm sure what you have to say is important, but I can never make it past your avatar.

My apologies.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:19 PM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

"
Originally Posted by HOT DAMN!
Care to elaborate?

I'm still reading and absorbing knowledge before I make that call, so I know what I want, but I'll certainly report back on my experience.
"

I just found Howard to be a terse and condescending turd when I called. I went in with some knowledge, enough I think/thought to have enabled me to ask intelligent questions. I knew what I wanted answered, and was ready to make a purchase after the two of us fairly quickly exchanged pertinent information. Any perceived understanding on my part from Howard was immediately squashed as if I were a complete dipshat, and I had to listen to about 45 minutes of rudimentary information as if it were a right of passage into buying shocks from him. Time that I didn't have.

In the process, I was completely turned off by his unabashed bashing of his competitors products. There's bad, good, better, and best. It may be true that he has "the best", but that doesn't mean that every other product on the market is complete shat, and that's essentially his claim. Ask about anything other than the shocks that he sells; you'll get an interesting earful.

In addition, he also instructed me to go to his website and educate myself and answer questions based on the education I received from his website, all prior to making a purchase. Well, his website is as user friendly as he is a warm and welcoming voice on the phone. Frankly, his website is a piece of shat. If he built that website, then he needs to stick to building shock and shocks alone. His shocks are renown for being top of the line, but his website runs antithetical to his standard on shocks.

I didn't get uptight about it, I simply decided that he was not the guy for me to buy my shocks from. I went with a competitor of his within two days of my experience with him, and I'm very happy. I'm a salesperson in an extremely tough business, thus he simply cannot offend me. That being said, I decided a very long time ago that those whom a choose to do business with will be those with whom it's a pleasure to do business with. Period. The rhetorical question for me is, "why would I give my money to someone that doesn't make me feel great about the transaction? I won't. While he would make you believe that he has no rivals, the truth is far removed from that.

Again, MANY on the site have received product that is renown for being above excellent. I am not taking anything from the product, or their own experiences. I hope that yours is at least tolerable. At my age, I suffer narrow minded bullshat painfully, no matter how skilled one might be in their chosen field of work.

Elaborate enough?!

Last edited by gipper; 11-13-2013 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

Howard is the best suspension guy period , he is a straight shooter with great customer service , unfortunately many of you guys want to be lied to and misled like gipper , so for you there is Jaimie , enjoy his service but he can't teach Howard anything

Old 11-13-2013, 01:30 PM
itsmf
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Howard

I talked to Howard at Black Hills HD during the Sturgis Rally, he did not bite me!

Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by tj316
Howard is the best suspension guy period , he is a straight shooter with great customer service , unfortunately many of you guys want to be lied to and misled like gipper , so for you there is Jaimie , enjoy his service but he can't teach Howard anything
Based on the feedback on here from those who have bought shocks from Howard, I wouldn't argue that Howard is less than the best suspension guy in the business. No argument from me at all, though I don't know it experientially. However, to say that "many of you guys want to be lied to and misled like gipper" (your truly!), only shows that you're a complete idiot, and probably capable of about as much professional customer service as Howard is.

Lastly, you're right.....Jamie can't teach Howard anything......Howard wouldn't likely be interested in learning anything from someone that might know a little more in any area (at least based on my experience). Which means that his business growth potential is limited significantly while Jaimie's is not.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:43 PM
gipper
Road Master

Originally Posted by itsmf
I talked to Howard at Black Hills HD during the Sturgis Rally, he did not bite me!
Most people are a little more tame in person than they are on the phone. And good for you. I don't wish Howard any ill, I only elaborated on my own experience on the phone. I hope to meet him in person one day...I'm sure I'll walk away with a different impression.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:53 PM
rs87277
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I ordered the JRI shocks for my Street Bob and I had a good time with Howard. I have nothing bad to say, only good.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:07 PM
HOT DAMN!
Advanced

Originally Posted by gipper

Elaborate enough?!
Indeed, and some of which I completely agree.

Thanks for taking the time.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:11 PM
Deckman
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I purchased JRI shocks from Howard this past summer and so far I am pleased with my experience. He was extremely helpful and obviously is engrossed in all details of suspension systems for Harley's. He always returned my calls promptly and asked me to call for help anytime of the day. I spoke to him on week nights when I am sure he was at dinner and or enjoying an adult beverage, but never seemed annoyed or put off speaking about adjusting my shocks etc. I have no complaints whatsoever and highly recommend Howard for high quality shocks.

Quick Reply: Honest Review of Motorcycle Metal and Ohlins