Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I extend the warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,227 Likes on 21,591 Posts
Default Should I extend the warranty?

I got the postcard in the mail the other day stating that my warranty expires this coming month.. $1K and some change for 2 years or $1300 and then some for more years.. $50 deductable if any time I take it to the dealer for anything warranty related.. Thoughts on this? I'm sure it's a crap shoot, damned if you do and damned if you don't... Thanks..

Old 08-11-2011, 07:12 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 882 Likes on 439 Posts

You can do much better than that price on the warranty. I paid around $1450 for 7 years with tire & wheel coverage from Jenni when she was still at Tri-County. You should also honestly assess whether or not you need it. If you ride a lot, go on a lot of long trips, and plan on keeping your bike for more than a year, then it's probably worth it.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:52 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Is it likely with your riding style and your bikes history so far, that you will have a 1200.00 repair come up in that time frame? It's a gamble! I usually take the gamble and I leave the grand in the bank.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:03 AM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I just bought my 2009 Ultra in April. I didn't realize at the time, but I had purchased the
extended warranty. I probably wouldn't have....but since April...I have had the front wheel bearings, rear brake switch, compensator, rear cylinder valves/push rods/guides/head and also the bikes radio replaced. The dealership has washed my bike more than I have.
Not bad for owning the bike less than six months. Extended warranty has been my friend.

Chuck

Old 08-11-2011, 08:25 AM
Texas Fat Boy
Extreme HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

It's a crap shoot for sure. My '09 had no issues at all during the 1st two years (covered by warrenty).

Then I had 2 small issues within a month of it going out (about $600 in repairs).
So I thought I was still money ahead.

Then the battery went out (I use a battery tender all the time).
But I do not believe the ext. warrenty covers batteries, so I thought I was still ahead.

Then 2 months after the warrenty ran out, my motor gave out ($2,000 in repairs)
I will look very close to buying one when my new bike expires. If I plan on keeping it.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:58 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you are going to spend the money either way. either you buy the warranty, or your going to buy parts and tools while using your time to install. If you are a DIY person, don't buy the warranty but understand you will spend money on repairs. If you are not a DIY person, buy the warranty so you don't have to learn to be a DIY person.

But I might add, if you can get a 7 year warranty for 1400 like 05Train did, that would be awesome.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:00 AM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you are going to spend the money either way. either you buy the warranty, or your going to buy parts and tools while using your time to install. If you are a DIY person, don't buy the warranty but understand you will spend money on repairs. If you are not a DIY person, buy the warranty so you don't have to learn to be a DIY person.

But I might add, if you can get a 7 year warranty for 1400 like 05Train did, that would be awesome.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:03 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,573 Likes on 1,497 Posts

I put a good bit of miles on my bike. I also made some mods to bike,and had them install them. All of this was done before I picked it up. I got the extended warranty so it will cover everything. I just like the feeling of riding with no worries.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to be looking at this decision early next year as well, and not being a DIY person I am leaning towards shopping price and purchasing it, however, I've done a stage 1 mod. Do you get the same hassles with the ESP as you do from the dealers with the original warranty about "you did blah blah blah your warranty is voided!"? Yes I realize they can't void the entire warranty and would have to prove that the modded part caused the malfunction, etc, but I was wondering what experience those of you who have the ESP have had if you have done simple mods...something the OP may want to consider as well.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:41 AM
alkrisma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd extend and I'd also call Jim Palmer @ Kutter HD

Quick Reply: Should I extend the warranty?