Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SO FRUSTRATED!!! Need help with front wheel allignment

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 05:32 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default SO FRUSTRATED!!! Need help with front wheel allignment

I bought a used wheel from a street glide off of ebay. Got my tire switched over and installed the wheel. Something is not aligned correctly. when the wheel turns, it is pushing my calipers back until I have no front brake pull until I pump it up.

I installed the wheel and followed the service manual to a T, using the drill bit to align the right fork. I have done this and re did it too many times with no success.

I even bled the brakes to make sure air didn't get in the system some how. I'm not sure what to do here. Wondering if the wheel has bad bearings (although the feel ok) or if the rotors are warped.

Also, nothing feels off kilter when running down the road.

What can I be missing here?

Last edited by steelerdude1; 07-21-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:40 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Is the wheel correct for your year? Also is the spacing correct? Last thought is a straight edge along the outside edge to see if it is true, and probably check the rotors while your at it.

Old 07-21-2015, 05:41 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,235 Likes on 999 Posts

Just a wild stab but did the wheel come off of an abs bike? Maybe still has the abs bearing in it.

Last edited by SBates08; 07-21-2015 at 05:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM
ultra_classic
Club Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I bought a used wheel from a street glide off of ebay. Got my tire switched over and installed the wheel. Something is not aligned correctly. when the wheel turns, it is pushing my calipers back until I have no front brake pull until I pump it up.

I installed the wheel and followed the service manual to a T, using the drill bit to align the right fork. I have done this and re did it too many times with no success.

I even bled the brakes to make sure air didn't get in the system some how. I'm not sure what to do here. Wondering if the wheel has bad bearings (although the feel ok) or if the rotors are warped.

Also, nothing feels off kilter when running down the road.

What can I be missing here?
I will "assume" the bearings are the correct diameter, the spacers are correct, and the clearance is correct for the calipers before you road test. Also the run out on the rotor are inspec. or minimal [ slowing spin the wheel and observe the gap between the rotor's as the wheel spins.

I suspect you have rotor run out or spacers not set right, and the rotor is pushing the pads back in the bore while spinning

Old 07-21-2015, 06:54 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

OK, so here is what I know about the Wheel I bought. It is a 16X3, and if I am correct, that was the stock wheel for 06 & 07 Street Glides.

The 06 & 07 ran 1" bearings Correct? If not that may be my issue.

Looking at the Ronnie's Microfiche, it appears that the same spacers are used for the cast and spoke wheels, can someone confirm this for me?

I have the shorter spacer on the right side.

I Measured the rotors on the "new" Wheel and they had a hair more to them then my stock ones on my spokes, so I kept them on. I checked the rotor bolts and they are torqued to spec.

My front brake pads are getting down there, but they have plenty of life left.

I am also assuming the rotor is pushing the calipers in, My next step may be to swap out the rotors and see if that makes any difference.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:08 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

OK, UPDATE

I swapped out the rotors, and with just spinning the wheel up on the jack, the brakes are staying solid. I wont know for sure if that was it until I road test it tomorrow.

Laying the other rotors flat, they do not appear to be warped, but who knows.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:44 PM
Loc_Tite
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Default SO FRUSTRATED!!! Need help with front wheel allignment

I can't see what year your bike is on my mobile, but the drill bit in the axle hole procedure isn't the right way to do it on newer models- are you certain that is correct for your year? I did it on my '08 the first time I had the wheel off, not realizing the change in procedure, and it pulled the caliper way off center.

Old 07-21-2015, 09:52 PM
EG-2006
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I recently changed my wheels from spoke to cast and used the same spacers without issue front and rear. 2006 EG

Old 07-22-2015, 04:06 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

It is confirmed, everything works as it should now. Well actually better than before. all new brake fluid and speed bleeder up front. Much more solid and bighty.

It must have been the rotors that were on that wheel.

Last edited by steelerdude1; 07-22-2015 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2015, 12:05 PM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
OK, so here is what I know about the Wheel I bought. It is a 16X3, and if I am correct, that was the stock wheel for 06 & 07 Street Glides.

The 06 & 07 ran 1" bearings Correct? If not that may be my issue.

Looking at the Ronnie's Microfiche, it appears that the same spacers are used for the cast and spoke wheels, can someone confirm this for me?

I have the shorter spacer on the right side.

I Measured the rotors on the "new" Wheel and they had a hair more to them then my stock ones on my spokes, so I kept them on. I checked the rotor bolts and they are torqued to spec.

My front brake pads are getting down there, but they have plenty of life left.

I am also assuming the rotor is pushing the calipers in, My next step may be to swap out the rotors and see if that makes any difference.
Put a dial indicator on the rotor to check runout. I straightened mine with a plastic mallet. I apparently tweaked it while replacing tire. No more problems and now have 120kon original rotor. Just a thought

Quick Reply: SO FRUSTRATED!!! Need help with front wheel allignment