Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

RK purchase-what to look out for.............

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM
Tom Shaffer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RK purchase-what to look out for.............

I've got my eye on a 2000 Road King w/ only 9100 miles. Anything I should be on the look out for? Should I be looking at something newer? I'm pretty much in the 2000-05 area because of the $$. Any significant differences in that range of model years?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:09 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,593 Likes on 3,078 Posts

99 to 02 have the strongest bottom ends of any Twin cam, ( hot forged crank and the Timken Lefty bearing abandoned by Harley in 03.)

If you've got Fuel Injection, you've got Magnetti Morrelli (sp?) injection which is decent for a daily rider, not great if you're a performance builder. ( Though programmers that sell Power Commander (Fuel Moto,) can still take care of you.)

All 99 - 06 TC's have the 'tensionser issue.' The cam chain tensioners wear out quickly and unexpectedly sooner than later, ( but only sometimes(!)) so you need to inspect them every 10,000 miles or so. The good news is that with that excellent bottom end, you're a good candidate fot gear drive cams at a later date which are prretty much bulletproof,

There are improvements in chassis on 02 (stronger swingarm) and again in 09, but your bike will have that air adjustable front forks which I love! ( and 02's don't.)

So is it a good motorcycle? Well yeah, I've got 92,500 miles on mine.

What's this guy want for his bike?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:46 AM
aktid35
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would get a carb version if possible unless you really have your heart set on that one and it's a screaming deal. Have a 98 ultra with the MM fuel injection and it has been nothing but headaches for the last 6 months or so. Now this is a 98 which was the first year for fuel injection. I don't know if they worked out all the kinks by 2000? Mine currently has 43,000 on it and the fuel injection is starting to kind of lose it's mind, and none of the shops will touch it because of the MM injection. Like i said I'm not sure if it's been taken care of in the twin cams so take it with a grain of salt, but I'm currently putting together a pile of parts in the garage to go to a carb this winter....

Old 08-21-2011, 11:44 AM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

All 2000-2012 road kings standard, classics, and customs
have a stering problem. They never want to turn into the
work area they seam to want to lock up and keep going
stright for the open road

Old 08-21-2011, 12:41 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member

Received 461 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom Shaffer
I've got my eye on a 2000 Road King w/ only 9100 miles. Anything I should be on the look out for? Should I be looking at something newer? I'm pretty much in the 2000-05 area because of the $$. Any significant differences in that range of model years?
I'd want new tires on the bike......they might look fine..... but with 9100 miles, the front s likely to be 10 years old.... and who knows when the rear was mounted (and it might be OEM too).

There will be many replies saying others would leave to old tires on..... and that's their right to do so.... but for ME???? it's pull off those old tires and start fresh.

Frankly with those low miles..... I'd change all three holes.... brake fluid too....

Old 08-21-2011, 03:29 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

I had a 2001 RKC...the riser bushings - I think that's what they're called; ask if they've been replaced. If not - get some of the poly ones. Very inexpensive & easy to do yourself. Prevents up & down wiggle on the handlebars. I may have my terminology screwed up - but you should be able to figure it out.

Other than that - I loved my fuel injected 2001 RKC (had a ness big sucker & V&H Big Shot Duals - killer unique sound). Make sure all your bolts are tight everywhere. Inspect the braking system - make sure it feels good & looks good. Just general checks. Nothing major to look out for, in my experience (of course, it's been awhile, so I may have forgotten a few things).

Old 08-21-2011, 03:32 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

..OK...I'll bite....how much money do they want for the bike?....then we'll tell, "deal...or..no deal"....

Old 08-22-2011, 02:19 PM
Tom Shaffer
Intermediate

Right now it's 10K obo, but better buys are popping up everywhere...must be the end of summer sale season.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:28 PM
Clayslayer
Advanced

Check to see how "molested" the bike is and by who. I had a MM injected 1996 RK that was a complete pain in the butt. Previous owner did all of his own work and you could tell. I never had any issues with the fuel injection but it leaked, spurted, poured, shot, and sprayed oil in every direction even while just sitting in the garage.

The TC engines are fine. Yours will have the crappy spring loaded tensioners but they'll be fine for a while yet. If you plan on putting any serious miles on the bike you'll need to go to either hydraulic tensioners or gear drive cams (not such a bad thing). Other than that if the bike hasn't been screwed with too much there's nothing to really worry about.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:00 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,593 Likes on 3,078 Posts

As much as I like the bike, 10K is too much IMO...Should be more like 8,500.

Quick Reply: RK purchase-what to look out for.............