Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Safe way to jump start battery

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safe way to jump start battery

Is there a safe way to jump start a battery on the bike?

I want to make sure that I do or do not have a battery issue before going out to buy one. Is there a way that I can jump start the battery using my car?

I do have a battery tender hooked up to it.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:04 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

yes , jump from the car battery with the car turned off , if it is running it will put out to many volts

Old 08-22-2011, 01:10 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to know.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:45 PM
07RoadHawg
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
if it is running it will put out to many volts
A car puts out just as many volts as the bike. They are both 12V systems that run around 14.4 when the engines are running. The car's alternator puts out more amps, but only when they are demanded by the load put on the system. The danger comes when jumping a 6V system from a 12V one.

Short story long, yes you can jump start your bike with a car that is running or not.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Thanks

Old 08-22-2011, 01:57 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 460 Likes on 211 Posts

I found out the hard way there is only one real safety issue when charging, boosting or jump starting anything.

Sparks from a bad connection on the jumper or battery charger ends are mostly harmless when the battery is cold. When the battery acid heats up from a rapid charge, the gases that it produces are very explosive. If you have had a booster on a battery for any length of time and the conditions are just right, any little spark can explode the battery.

Dennis

Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

too many stories of folks loosing stators and regulators after jumping a bike battery. What you should do is take the battery off the bike, slow charge it, let it sit for 12 hrs, then test it for static state of charge. You can goolge to get the chart. The numbers are something like 12.4 volts is 50% charged, 12.7 is 80% charged, etc. Anything below 12.3 volts is a bad battery. If battery passes, then you need to test your charging system.

of course, if battery is 4 years old, don't expect much more from it. And yes, trying to keep a weak battery charged, could overload your battery.

Old 08-22-2011, 02:39 PM
ks6c
Tourer

Originally Posted by rochkes
When the battery acid heats up from a rapid charge, the gases that it produces are very explosive. If you have had a booster on a battery for any length of time and the conditions are just right, any little spark can explode the battery.
I know that to be true with the old wet cell lead-acid batteries. Is it still an issue for the AGM style batteries? Just wondering, cuz I'll still probably take the same precautions.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:06 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

you are correct on the volts , I meant amps , but you are wrong on the car can be running , THE CAR NEEDS TO BE OFF , JUMP OFF THE BATTERY ONLY ,if the car is running I have seen guys fry electrical parts on their bike , I have never seen anyone do it off a battery only jump , ask your service dept , the other day I saw a guy jump off a running car and as soon as it cranked up his electric compass was spinning , fried , there is no need to have the car running , the bike doesn't need that kind of amp out put
Originally Posted by 07RoadHawg
A car puts out just as many volts as the bike. They are both 12V systems that run around 14.4 when the engines are running. The car's alternator puts out more amps, but only when they are demanded by the load put on the system. The danger comes when jumping a 6V system from a 12V one.

Short story long, yes you can jump start your bike with a car that is running or not.

Old 08-22-2011, 03:38 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

The battery is testing good after having it on the battery tender, but I am wondering if the battery has enough cranking amps to turn it over. It's an after market battery that was in the bike when I bought it.

Quick Reply: Safe way to jump start battery