Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried almost everything, bike won't start. Need suggestions.

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2011, 09:38 AM
WOS Bishop
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, I tested the spak plug with an in-line tester and both are good.

Sprayed starter fluid into the throttle body and it doesn't start at all.

Old 08-23-2011, 09:46 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by WOS Bishop
I do have an Indy that I wanna have look at it, but I'm trying to get the little stuff done that I can to save some cost on the labor and maybe figure it out myself. I have another bike, so riding is not an issue, but I do want this one fixed.
That doesn't matter, a good mechanic checks everything himself and doesn't take an amateur's word on what he checked out. You are throwing parts, time and money at it and getting nowhere if you have already decided to take it to a pro anyways.

Old 08-23-2011, 10:43 AM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 164 Posts

I just installed the TPS, wasn't sure how to adjust it
You can't just install it. It needs to be calibrated. If you have a service manual, it should explain how to do this. Betting this is one of your problems. There could be multiple things going on here.

As far as the fuel system goes, just because the pump turns on doesn't mean everything is good. Fuel injection uses very high pressure. The pump primes the system to this pressure when you turn the ignition on. If there are any leaks in the system, the pump can't keep up and fuel pressure falls. You need to check if the system is holding pressure. There is a tool the dealerships have that connects to the tank where the main fuel line is.

Zach

Old 08-23-2011, 11:00 AM
FLHTCU 08#1381
Stage IV

Sounds like no gas check carb or coil for spark or weak spark!
Fuel +air + spark = run !

Old 08-23-2011, 01:42 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

Sounds like it's not getting gas to me as well. I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and go no response though. I am gonna try and spray some in the spark plug hole and see what happens.

Old 08-23-2011, 01:45 PM
WOS Bishop
Advanced

The manual says that you need "Breakout Box" to set the voltage for the TPS. I think this is a dealer tool and I'm not sure how to test the voltage otherwise. Has anyone ever installed a Throttle Position Sensor before?

Old 08-23-2011, 03:15 PM
Vitric
Cruiser

You sprayed starter fluid in to the throttle body to no avail? It tries to turn over, right? This is kinda dumb, but are you sure the plug wires are correctly hooked up?

You figured out you have spark, and regardless of fuel it will not start. I've also noticed people have been missing COMPRESSION from the running formula. Unless you have a battery tender hooked up while you repeatedly crank it, your cranking compression will keep going down. Also, are you sure the firing KV on the plugs is high enough? Just because they fire on your tester doesn't mean they're strong enough to ignite the air/fuel mixture in your engine.

Old 08-23-2011, 03:25 PM
arealinvestor
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you please explain to me, why you have not taken the bike to the dealership? or a reputable Indy to look it over??? Or did I miss where you did that already??

Old 08-24-2011, 06:50 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

I just installed the TPS, wasn't sure how to adjust it
This is probably where your problem is...The adj.of the tps is very sensitive...You might want to take the bike to some one that can set it correctly...But you might get the bike to start by adj. the sensor in very small increments just to see if you can get it to fire off...The adjustment of the tps is very critical to the cranking and performance of your model bike.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:01 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

Sounds like it's not getting gas to me as well. I sprayed starter fluid in the throttle body and go no response though. I am gonna try and spray some in the spark plug hole and see what happens.
Be careful with the starting fluid, I've seen it break a crank in a Caterpillar tractor. It was a municipal unit that wouldn't start, and the crew did not know any better not to use starting fluid on a diesel motor, and they used too much as well. Boom.

Quick Reply: Tried almost everything, bike won't start. Need suggestions.