Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 Ultra Limited with car tire

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:19 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=07RoadHawg;8742354]Wow... a cat thread, Ohlins thread, and now a car tire thread all in the same day! I'm buying a powerball ticket on the way home today.

I'm proud to be part of your tri-fecta. If you win the lottery do I get a cut?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:20 AM
gunnyBob
Cruiser

Originally Posted by LARGEANDREW
1) Fabulous in the rain. It's amazing how they stick in the wet.

2) Better braking.

3) Stable if you happen to find yourself on gravel. Like unexpected detours you can run across out in the boondocks.

Anyway, I'm not trying to convert anyone. Party on.
Ok, what about raining and cornering?

Old 08-26-2011, 09:30 AM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

I understand people do the car tire thing for longevity. But for me, the car tire wasn't made to run up on the side wall like that and the traction in no way can be as good as a motorcycle tire when cornering. Safety is a factor for me too because my wife rides with me a lot and if anything ever happened to her because of me trying to save a few bucks on a motorcycle tire I would never forgive myself. I'm not sure my insurance agent would like to see a car tire on the back of my bike either if I had an accident. But hey, what ever blows your skirt up, I'll stick with the motorcycle tires.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:37 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear

Originally Posted by gunnyBob
Ok, what about raining and cornering?

The brand of tire I using ( and have over 35,000 miles on them) let's me keep rolling with confidence in the rain.

At the same time, I don't confuse confidence with certainty and use precaution in the rain whether I am cornering or running straight.
The usual things......stay off the painted lines, stay out of the middle of the road and be smooth.

Overall, to me, they really shine in the rain whatever it is your doing.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't knock anybody for going to "the dark side", I just believe that the people who design tires for bikes are there for a reason, and from what I've seen M/C tires have a reason and purpose for there design. I would love to get 35,000 miles from a tire, but for now I'll be sticking with about 1/2 that. BTW, how much $$ is it for the Dunlop run flat? I'll be needing some new tires for my car soon, and that's close to the size, (never realized my car and bike have about the same size wheel, lol).

Old 08-26-2011, 09:52 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK
I understand people do the car tire thing for longevity. But for me, the car tire wasn't made to run up on the side wall like that and the traction in no way can be as good as a motorcycle tire when cornering. Safety is a factor for me too because my wife rides with me a lot and if anything ever happened to her because of me trying to save a few bucks on a motorcycle tire I would never forgive myself. I'm not sure my insurance agent would like to see a car tire on the back of my bike either if I had an accident. But hey, what ever blows your skirt up, I'll stick with the motorcycle tires.

OK. Sounds good to me. It's your bike and your rules. I mean that sincerely.

Safety for myself and my wife is what led me to this.
Cheaper price and longevity is not a factor to me. I can afford whatever tire I want just as most of you can too.

If I believed that the best possible tire for my bike (ie: stuck like glue in any condition, would never fail me and do all the things we want) cost $400.00 and would only last 6,000 miles, I would buy it but that doesn't exist so we do the best we can with what's available.

Its' all about choice. I made mine and everyone gets to make their's too.

Andy

Old 08-26-2011, 09:59 AM
LARGEANDREW
6th Gear

. BTW, how much $$ is it for the Dunlop run flat? I'll be needing some new tires for my car soon, and that's close to the size, (never realized my car and bike have about the same size wheel, lol).[/quote]

That's kinda funny.
I used Tire Rack on line and the tire was about $145.00 and shipping was about $25.00 round figures.

BTW, each tire doesn't last 35,000 miles. I started off with one slightly used to get a feel for if I was going to like it. Bought a new one shortly thereafter for a long trip I had coming up. I got approx. 23,000 I think on that. Replaced it and it was still on the bike when I traded it in on the H-D I have now.

Old 08-26-2011, 11:38 AM
ftzoid
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can remember in the early 70's when Harley themselves were putting on the ol' good year eagles. And if memory serves me correct (which it doesn't always), these were quite similar to a car tire with the flat profile. IMO they were car tires scaled down for the FL's of the day. And not only were these on the rear, but the front as well! They were kind of a bear to ride til ya got used to 'em too!

I'm all for this dark side. The only thing that concerns me is cornering in the rain. Other than that I'd be all over it. Still might give it a try.

As far as motorcycle specialty tires go, ANY company that can "specialize" and make more money doing it, will! And of course its in the name of safety! How else can they charge double or more for half the mileage?

I only wish that there was an honest, professional comparison like that of the videos you see concerning ABS vs. non-ABS bikes for example to really give us the straight skinny.

LARGEANDREW, thanks for the honest assessment and puttin' this out there! It gets us thinkin' and is appreciated!

Old 08-26-2011, 01:53 PM
JF1187
Advanced

i have a 09 flht i ran a bridgestone turanza 195/60/16 for a little over 10,000 miles almost a year took a bit to get used to it, but after that it was no different than the mt. untill last week when running 95mph down the highway something did not feel right. i had run that fast before and the tire was great even up to 100 all good. so i put on new tire's front and back went with the american elites, thought i would try them out. going from car tire to mt tire was a bigger thing getting used too, than it was mt.to car tire. any way good luck i am sure you will be fine i enjoyed my car tire alot.

Old 08-26-2011, 02:12 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KCFLHTK

That tire is over inflated, this video means nothing.

Quick Reply: 2011 Ultra Limited with car tire