Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart 4" Slip-Ons Installed Today

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 05:42 PM
valvestem
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart 4" Slip-Ons Installed Today

I just finished installing some Rinehart 4" slip-ons on a stock 99 FLHT. Got it buttoned up enough to start the bike up. One word sums them up-LOUD. I don't know if I'll like them on the road, as the bike was in an enclosed garage with the door open when running, so they may sound a little different in the open air. They are deep and throaty at the same time, and the loudness does not seem to increase all that much at increasing the RPM through the 2000-2500-3000 range. Be advised these are straight through units, not really mufflers per se. More like baffles inside a big resonator. They went on easy, the quality is as you would expect for the price, the chrome is flawless. Any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:13 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

If all you did was install the slip-ons and kept the factory head pipe (with cat), then they really are not that loud.
I think being in an enclosed garage might have made it sound that way.

I have these slip-ons on my Street Glide, and even though they are louder than the factory mufflers they are no where near as loud as some others.
Nothing at all like the Fat Bob I had with V&H short shots.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:17 PM
valvestem
Road Captain

Thanks for the comforting words. Having the stock muffs on since last summer since the state I live in is going through a hissy fit on motorcycle cycle exhaust. These are louder than I guess I am used to, and I still have to worry about passing state inspection.
Oh and uh, no cat on a 1999.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:26 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you decide you don't like them and want to sell them, PM me.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:30 PM
valvestem
Road Captain

OK, I gotta try 'em out for a while first, before deciding what to do. This is only the 3rd set of muffs I've had on this bike in it's lifetime, LOL.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:31 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by valvestem
Thanks for the comforting words. Having the stock muffs on since last summer since the state I live in is going through a hissy fit on motorcycle cycle exhaust. These are louder than I guess I am used to, and I still have to worry about passing state inspection.
Oh and uh, no cat on a 1999.
Sorry, I didn't even pay attention to the '99 part.
Since no cat, they are going to be louder than on my '11

Get it out of the garage and take a few rides. Won't be such an "echo" effect once out in the open.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:38 PM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

The Rinehart 4" slip-ons are sweet! One of our top sellers!

Shawn

Old 09-01-2011, 06:42 PM
dansflhti
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

You are causing me concern.I have a set of the 4' Rineharts on order for my 09 cat-less Classic.I'm not looking for a whole lot louder than stock.I might be picking them up next week.It is a 600 mile trip to the dealer I'm buying them from.I guess I'll find out on the ride home if I like them or not.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
valvestem
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dansflhti
You are causing me concern.I have a set of the 4' Rineharts on order for my 09 cat-less Classic.I'm not looking for a whole lot louder than stock.I might be picking them up next week.It is a 600 mile trip to the dealer I'm buying them from.I guess I'll find out on the ride home if I like them or not.
That is why I posted my initial take of the 4" slip ons. So someone could make an informed (read expensive) decision. This is only my opinion, to someone else with a catted header they would probably be OK. Once I get the bike on the road late tomorrow afternoon, I'll post another update. Don't get my evaluation wrong, they do sound good and powerful, but they are loud in the garage, but what isn't I guess? I'll have to see tomorrow. They are louder than stock as you'll find out after your swap. But to you, (and me tomorrow I hope) you'll find them to your liking. I like a motorcycle to sound like a motorcycle especially an HD, but I have to be concerned with the law (picky) around here as well.

Old 09-01-2011, 06:50 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

FYI,

Those Rineys will ONLY get louder within time! Although I only have the 3 1/2" Rineharts, They sound real good.

YB

Quick Reply: Rinehart 4" Slip-Ons Installed Today