Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2011, 10:47 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

No rattles here....

Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 AM
dr_jay
Intermediate
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by gump305
Nice compare so far, looks like this is going to be the thread to follow.
Thanks, Gump. The work's all done. It's just the writeup that takes time.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:35 AM
dr_jay
Intermediate

Originally Posted by klaybus
I've installed those exact bars & while they were an improvement over the original Roadking bars, the wrist angle was killing my right wrist. I just ordered the "Softail Heritage handlebars
<snip>
The bars I ordered tonite are HD part # 56569-09.
<snip>
Hoping the Softail heritage bars fill the bill!
I hope they work out for you. Trial and error is a hard way to go, but it seems to be all most of us can do.

Originally Posted by DannyZ71
Aw, man!

Hey, did you happen to notice any play in the headlamp trim ring before you removed it? I'm anxious to see if you have any play in it when you reinstall it and tighten it down. The dealer did my bars and the trim ring rattles and moves a tiny amount, even when the retaining screw at the bottom is as tight as it will go.
No: work's all done and it seems tight. I'd take it off and fool around with it. It's only 2 attachment points, the screw on bottom and a spring clip on top. The screw goes into another spring-metal clip, too. So maybe a little bending will get it snugged up. Good luck.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:47 AM
rwtrick
Road Captain
Received 267 Likes on 82 Posts

Great write-up, I'm looking forward to reading the rest. I have Heritage Bars on my King & love them!

Old 09-12-2011, 09:45 AM
Drilln'Boss
Club Member

Received 5,641 Likes on 1,670 Posts

Originally Posted by SeniorChief56
you are gonna wish you went to 10" mini apes,,,,,,,,,,,,
Originally Posted by klaybus
I've installed those exact bars & while they were an improvement over the original Roadking bars, the wrist angle was killing my right wrist. I just ordered the "Softail Heritage handlebars from Zanottis tonite & hope that these feel as good as the Softail I sat on at the dealer today...They should as they are the very same bar!
The bars I ordered tonite are HD part # 56569-09. These bars ARE NOT notched for the TBW so that will require some altercation & there is no hole at the bottom of the bars so I will have to drill a hole & file so I can run the TBW out of the bars but they feel GREAT & hopefully will resolve the wrist angle for ME. My final & last alternative will be to bite the bullet & spend about $600 on the Wild One Chubbys & have to extend the TBW, clutch cable, control wiring & brake lines. Hoping the Softail heritage bars fill the bill!
Let's not forget, this is a pictorial about changing handlebars, not a debate on which bars to install.

Old 09-12-2011, 10:17 AM
10 RED RK
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

DR JAY

You are the man ! - I've been waiting for a thread with pics so that I could do the bars on my RK

Thank You!!!

Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 PM
klaybus
Stellar HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Dr Jay~ Great pictorial & the best I've seen on the installation of new bars on a Roadking....Bar none!

Drillin Boss~ Certainly not trying to hi-jack Dr. Jays thread. Anyone that has done a search on Heritage bars knows you love them. All I was stating is that what may work for one person certainly may not work for another especially in regards to handlebars for a Roadking.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:25 PM
dr_jay
Intermediate
Default part 5

Thanks for the kind words! The next step is to unplug the "twist grip sensor wiring harness" or TGSWH. This was probably the hardest part of the whole job, but only because you can't see what you're doing and don't quite know how it's held in there. The TGSWH is the only wire bundle that feeds through the handlebar, at least if you don't have heated grips. (The cruise control runs externally.) Anyhow, the TGSWH plugs in inside the nacelle, and runs through a hole in the center of the bar, where it splits into 2 branches, each ending in a plug, which both plug in to the wires coming from the twist grip sensor itself.

Here are 2 pictures of the TGSWH. They won't give you a good feel for which harness it is: you just have to pull on the bundle where it exits the bottom of the handlebar and see which wiring bundle moves inside the nacelle until you figure it out. In the first picture, I'm holding the TGSWH. Notice that the outer tape or plastic sheath is frayed and worn through. This was true along the whole length of the bundle, probably from pulling it through the handlebar at the factory. After I got it out of the bars, I wrapped it well with some thin electrical tape. The white thing above my index finger is a paper tag on the harness.

The other way to know you have the right harness is that it splits near the end, and goes to a small unused (in my bike) plug. Not sure what this is for.

Anyhow, the large plug that you have to undo is held captive: it clips on to a vertical stud on top of the "fork lock plate". The stud (and plug) is on the upper left side of the headlamp cavity, as you face the rear of the bike. To free it from the stud, you need to push the whole plug (male/female, still plugged together) towards the back of the bike, and then lift it up off the stud. You can't unplug it until you can haul it out where you can see it. The next picture shows the slot (big hole to small hole) on the plug:

Flipping the plug over, you can either push on the button near my index finger

or insert a small screwdriver and lever up gently on the thin tab in the slot.

Either way: unplug it. The only hard part is over, and you're ready to remove the left and right lever/grip/switch assemblies from the ends of the handlebar.

Attached Thumbnails Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1032.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1034.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1035.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1036.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1037.jpg  

Old 09-12-2011, 05:50 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

Dr Jay,

Just FYI, that extra plug is for Heated Grips.

Great Write up on the install. Wish my Bagger Ape install was this easy.

Old 09-12-2011, 05:54 PM
dr_jay
Intermediate
Default part 6

To remove the brake assembly on the right grip, start by inserting some cardboard under the leading edge of the brake lever to hold it partially "squeezed". I cut 3 or 4 thin pieces of cardboard, squeezed the lever, pushed it in there (leave some hanging out) and put a piece of red tape on it to keep it from falling out, which it probably wouldn't do anyhow. The whole point of this is that the brake light switch (4th picture down) can get buggered up when you put the lever back on if the lever isn't partly squoze. Here's a bad picture of the cardboard shims in place:

Unscrew the clamp which holds the brake lever and master cylinder on the handlebar. It uses 2 obvious T27 torx screws.

My lever had to be wiggled quite a bit to get it off. I hung it down gently, and rested it wedged on top of the towel on top of the crash bar: it seemed happy to stay there, and the brake line didn't look stressed.

Here's the brake switch button (with rubber bellows) on the switch assembly, which you're trying to protect with the cardboard shim trick.

Finally, remove the switch housing, which is attached with two torx T25 screws. One is on top, and one is underneath.

Attached Thumbnails Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1039.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1041.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1043.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1042.jpg   Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King-dscn1044.jpg  

The following users liked this post:
pdbuzz (04-29-2017)

Quick Reply: Pictorial: installing Heritage-style handlebars on a 2011 Road King