Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tuner help, which one to pick.Suggestions??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 09:35 PM
silverado636
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tuner help, which one to pick.Suggestions??

I have an 07 Electra Classic. Going to install SE255's.
The bike already has a Stage1, air cleaner and CVO take off mufflers.
The tuner in it now is from Research Technologies installed at the dealer in Great Falls. I live 300 miles from there and want to do my own work. Down the road I want a good 2 into 1 exhaust but for now I want to tune it with the current exhaust and later tune it for a new exhaust.
Give me your ideas and thoughts

Old 09-25-2011, 09:58 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thundemax!!!

Old 09-25-2011, 10:02 PM
$tonecold
Club Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 933 Posts

If you don't want to have to mess with it get an EMS from RevPerf. It is easy to install and you don't have to do anything but the initialization that takes about 3 minutes. Your bike will run great. You can get one from Frank at Dragos for less than $700.

Old 09-26-2011, 12:06 AM
cruzmisl
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What he said. Rev EMS is awesome. There are others but you have to have a solid foundation in fuel management in order to use them. I'm a dummy and plugged my EMS in and it works perfectly. No bulls!t and no extra work.

Works awesome with my mods.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:30 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Another vote for the Ref Perf ems. 08 Ultra, installed SE255s and switched from the SEPST turner to Ref Perf. Very happy with it.

Old 09-26-2011, 01:33 AM
Casper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 285 Likes on 189 Posts

TTS super tuner

Old 09-26-2011, 07:41 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

Another vote for Thunder Max.

Old 09-26-2011, 07:46 AM
fishbust
Tourer

No one uses powercommanders anymore?

Old 09-26-2011, 09:21 AM
tlippy
Intermediate
Default Fuel Moto Performance package is the best!!!! $860

Bought this package on 09/13. Very easy install. I cannot believe the difference in my stock 2009 FLTR. Wish I had done some meaningful pretesting so I had something to compare before and after. Can tell you this: On a downhill run from Mt. Bachelor to Bend on my stock bike, 100 MPH and she was all in. After the Fuel Moto install on a flat run from Redmond to Bend, I backed off at 110 MPH. Also the best stock fuel mileage I ever got was 47 MPG on a solo Bend to Reno Street Vibrations trip in 2010. Wednesday I made the same run with a passenger and baggage for 2 at: 72MPH, 2800 RPM, 6th gear and averaged 51MPG on each of 4 fuel stops. At 2800 RPM I'm still in the 14.6 AFR range but the bike seems to be running cooler. Shoulda done some pretest to prove/disprove this. I did change to Mobil 1 Syn just before the trip and was able to buy non-ethanol fuel while in Oregon. Also the Jackpot 3.5" Dyno tuned mufflers are extremely pleasant on a long run. There's just gotta be some reason Fuel Moto made the mufflers side specific and added extra baffling to the Left side. I believe their claim they are 'Dino tuned'. There is one thing I wouldn't do again on this install. I removed my fuel tank to run the PV wire concealed. The wire has no end covers so to protect them when I remove the PV, I cover both ends with electrical tape then tie wrap the overlap to keep the tape on. Kinda a pain when U want to play with the PV. Do need to contact Jamie to see if a new cable is available.
Oh and another thing. I had a fault code show up during the maiden run. #B1123. Had to take it to WildHorse Harley on the Saturday before my trip to Street Vibrations. I left the PV on my handlebars and plugged in. I wanted the Dealer to see exactly what I had done to the OE ECM. I really thought they would claim I had caused the fault. In fact the service order read: "Dyna Tech Power Commander installed prior to problems - Coincidence"? No problem with my flash of the ECM or the PV install. They did replace the Brake/Turn Signal Module which corrected the fault code. It does seem that running the bike with the PV on causes some fault codes but none that require action.
Well that's it! Unscientific and undocumented. But I would say this is the best $$$ I have spent on this bike. And I'm gonna be preaching the benefits to anyone who will listen. I do believe that the Fuel Moto total package is required to reap my benefits.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just today 10/08/2011 - checked the mileage on my usual local runs. Got 42 mpg, which is what I got before the Fuel Moto Touring Package. So the above extraordinary 51 mpg was gotten on the Reno trip with cruise set at 72. I'm no longer concerned that I might be running a tad lean.

Last edited by tlippy; 10-08-2011 at 02:29 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-26-2011, 09:34 AM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

+1 for Rev Performance Precision. You keep your sotck ECM with all the OEM safety and diagnostic features. You also retain closed loop operation with wide-band Bosch O2 sensors. Check out their website and see for yourself. Watch the videos.

Rev Per Pre is not cheap, but you get what you pay for.

Yes, you can go with a Power Commander V, but without the auto tune module, you lose closed loop functionality and are stuck with a tune (or two) that is usually a good compromise tune. The PCV is not very expensive either. You can get on the laptop and screw around with the different aspects of tune for your fuel injection system, but best case it's an educated guess without a dyno tune. Do you want to mess with guessing at a tuning calibration, or do you just want to ride?

My suggestion would be, before you make a decision, to call our forum sponsor Fuel Moto and discuss your needs with Jamie or someone else. They can also fix you up with one of their stainless steel headers if you want to go that route. The call costs nothing and you will get is more solid info to help you make that important decision. Their phones stay pretty busy, so keep trying. You will get through eventually.
Good luck with your tuning choices.

Quick Reply: Tuner help, which one to pick.Suggestions??