Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Isn't a used 2009 Harley with 96" engine just about the best bargain out there?

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 08:32 AM
Burstbucker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Isn't a used 2009 Harley with 96" engine just about the best bargain out there?

I don't currently own a Harley but I've been to the HD demo rides every summer since 2009 and have tried out Road Kings, Street Glides and Electra Glides with the 96 cu.in engine and I never had the impression that that motor was really lacking in power. Not the way that I ride anyway.

Apparently, the 2009 and up frame has improved handling over the older style frame, I wouldn't know since I've never been on a pre-2009 Harley.

My current bike is a big cc metric, it's my first bike and I got it second-hand at a great price but it's not the ultimate bike for touring and isn't all that comfortable for my wife in back.

It's just a matter of time before I get something else to replace my current ride and to be honest, I've considered many brands along with Harley. But what I've found is that the best bang for the buck out there seems to be a used Harley tourer. There's so many!

Harley has obviously sold boat loads of these big touring bikes and a lot of their owners seem to sell them at a pretty attractive price. I don't hardly see any used BMW, Victory touring bikes for sale around my area, there are Goldwings but the price is usually too high and I'm not sure if that would be the bike for me at any rate.

I know that Harley has gone with the 103 cu.in engine in pretty much all of their 2012 bikes and I've ridden the new 103 touring bikes. While being happy with the 103's pull I can't say that it was enough of an improvement to overlook a lightly used 2009 with a 96" engine. If the price is that much lower, to me, it's worth going with the 96".

Plus, I'm kind of wondering if there might not be some benefit to having the 96" engine other then lower price tag. Wouldn't you get less heat from the 96"? Better fuel economy? Maybe the 96" engine wouldn't be quite as stressed as the 103?

I'm just thinking that while all of these lightly used 2009-2011 touring bikes have a pretty decent engine already, I don't think that I'd get hung up on having this slightly less powerful engine if it meant that I was getting a smoking hot deal in the end.

I mean, if a guy were inclined to buy a brand new touring bike (any brand) it's going to cost a fair chunk of change but then you see these low-mileage, babied 2009 Harleys with all the extra bells and whistles on them going for $8,0000-$10,0000 less (here in Canada), it's kind of hard to pass that deal up. While it might not be the latest and greatest, it sure makes more financial sense if you know what I mean.

Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your logic seems sound. The stock 103 isn't a huge improvement over the 96 in stock form. There are may options for big bore kits (103, 106, 107) that are not THAT expensive in the grand scheme of things, if you choose to go that route.

The biggest advantage a 103 has it that it already is a 103. You would only need a cam swap to acheive a "kit". To me, to be worth a big bore I would have to go 106/107. Look at the dynos on Fuel Moto of a TW-555 cam'd 96 vs a 103. To me the ends don't justify the means. Now conversly, a TW-555 cam'd 107 is a noticable increase over both......

My .02

Old 09-25-2011, 08:55 AM
kmayHD
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are alot of people who feel the same way, that small updates to the bikes are just to draw in those " have to get the best and newest" types of personalites. Hell im happy as can be with my old frame 88 incher. I agree totally that grabbing an 09, and having money left to play with is a better way to go then dumping all your cash on a brand-newey. And as far as less heat from the 96, there probably is slightly less, but I dont think it would be all that noticable. If that extra 7 cubic inches is that big of a deal for you then grabbing an 09 police bike would be they way, because they have 103 inchers already, from 07 to current.

Shop around, test ride bikes. Buy whats best for you man, I try not to get caught up in all the hype, And im not the type who needs to have the best thing goin, I just enjoy riding, and I enjoy my motorcycle. Ride on!

Old 09-25-2011, 09:36 AM

I would agree with the OP, that is exactly what I did, shopped around for a nice mid-low mileage 2009 RKC, in the color I wanted and less than 3 weeks later had it in my garage with $$ left over to add some personal touches

Old 09-25-2011, 09:39 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,643 Likes on 5,186 Posts

It can be if price is right ,low miles and you plan on keeping it a while.
Problem with used is you may never know if it was care for or not and who did what work to it

Old 09-25-2011, 09:43 AM
SamStone
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 176 Likes on 88 Posts

I just got back from a 4 day trip and 2 days on the Blue Ridge Parkway, with my 05 Road King with an 88 (stage One). Plenty of power and great handling and comfort. Nothing at all wrong with the old frame bikes.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:50 AM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 2009 Road King and was skeptical about the reliability and performance, when I bought it, due to the major changes. Three years later 20K miles no problems, knock on wood. I upgraded my cam to the SE255's with a stage 1 and I will, and have, out run stock 103 c.i. for thousands less. For the price you get all the new technology, with no catalytic converter and so far no "bugs" that I know of. I would stay around the 25K and lower mile mark if I were you. So go for it this is a great bike.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,304 Likes on 1,343 Posts

The 2009 has no cat in the header and the new frame. I think it is a good choice. Can one get ABS on a 2009 model as this is a significant upgrade.

Old 09-25-2011, 09:55 AM
t. sawyer
Road Warrior
Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

op I think you are on the right track. Bought mine used and saved some $ and I've put about 20k on it and no real problems. Like the man said knock on wood.
Kroozeabout.

Old 09-25-2011, 10:22 AM
Fireman_Rich
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wanted to purchase a new one. However, the dealers were not willing to deal, so I went looking for a used one. What I was able to find was well worth the effort.

I purchased a 2009 SG with 2246 miles on it. The bike was purchased in Sept 08, and I purchased it in April of 2010. There were some upgrades such as pipes and a different seat.

All that being said, I saved approx 5K by buying a slightly used HD. Bike has been flawless! In fact just returned from a cross country trip. 25 days and 8K miles later, she needs a bath and some attention, but other than that she ran perfect.

I would encourage everyone to consider a good used bike, and to steer clear of hammered used bikes.

Quick Reply: Isn't a used 2009 Harley with 96" engine just about the best bargain out there?