Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help/advice with services

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 08:08 PM
NewAge
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Need help/advice with services

Alright, so I have decided to take the plunge and start doing all my own services. At $350-400 a pop, these damn dealer services are getting ridiculous. I have done complete motor swaps and pretty much everything there is to do on a car, but have only dove into my father-in-laws Evo motor in his 95 Road King with his assistance. Not worried or anything, but I need some help.

I'm prepared for this first time to spend the same (or more if needed) as a typical dealer service so I can make the up front purchase of tools. I'm looking for a few things....

1. A no bullshit GOTTA HAVE tool list.

2. A maybe some bullshit GOOD TO HAVE tool list.

3. Recommendations of what is the best fluids to fill my holes...... That sounded dirty... But you know what I meant. I know a lot of y'all worship redline (I think that is what it is called) so I may try that stuff. I will continue running Synthetic unless I hear a good argument otherwise.

and

4. Any other stuff y'all wanna add.

Oh, and I have a garage, so space is no issue. I don't have a lift, but its been on my list of things to get for a while now so I think I'm gonna finally get it. Any recommendations for a cheap one would be great, maybe $50-$100?

I really appreciate any and all help.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:24 PM
Woollymonster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well heck man I was looking online at tools that dealers have to have in order to be certified Harley Dealers and it looks to me that entry level set up is about $40K. So I don't think us shade tree wrenches need all of that to do basic maintenance.

First you will need a good jack. I have had a JS Jacks for over six years now and have been very pleased with it. Some have said the same for Pit Bull jacks. I think both are around $500. Research their websites.

I personally buy a copy of the service manual and electrical manual for each bike. Then, if I want to undertake a project, the manual will tell you what tools you need, i.e. bearing puller and installation tool for a cam change, etc. Then buy or borrow the tools you need.

You can also talk to Indy's and guys like Jamie at Fuel Moto and they can walk you through a lot of things and tell some tools that can be substituted, etc.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:31 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 273 Likes on 237 Posts

Originally Posted by LMmarine86
Alright, so I have decided to take the plunge and start doing all my own services. At $350-400 a pop, these damn dealer services are getting ridiculous. I have done complete motor swaps and pretty much everything there is to do on a car, but have only dove into my father-in-laws Evo motor in his 95 Road King with his assistance. Not worried or anything, but I need some help.

I'm prepared for this first time to spend the same (or more if needed) as a typical dealer service so I can make the up front purchase of tools. I'm looking for a few things....

1. A no bullshit GOTTA HAVE tool list.

2. A maybe some bullshit GOOD TO HAVE tool list.

3. Recommendations of what is the best fluids to fill my holes...... That sounded dirty... But you know what I meant. I know a lot of y'all worship redline (I think that is what it is called) so I may try that stuff. I will continue running Synthetic unless I hear a good argument otherwise.

and

4. Any other stuff y'all wanna add.

Oh, and I have a garage, so space is no issue. I don't have a lift, but its been on my list of things to get for a while now so I think I'm gonna finally get it. Any recommendations for a cheap one would be great, maybe $50-$100?

I really appreciate any and all help.
Auto zone $50 blue motorcycle jack, Use KandN oil filter, it has a nut on it and easy to remove, it's a good filter part# K171C for the chrome one, Advance auto, Autozone or Amazon has em around 12 bucks. You will need a set of 3/8" drive socket type torx bits, metric allen, and sae allen's, all 3/8" drive a 1/4" drive socket set, also a metric set and std set of combo wrenchs. As far as oil I use Mobile 1 20w50 V twin syn in all 3 holes, works and easy to remember, this oil avail at Walmart in cycle section, ot Autozone in specilty oil section, or Amazon, about $10/qt. I am sure this will turn into an oil thread, but keep ur eye on the ball guys, also get a good shop repair manual, avoid Clymer, too generic, get the factory one or Haynes

Last edited by checkers; 10-01-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 321 Likes on 184 Posts

If you have done complete engine swaps on cars, you have what you need for basic service. A jack or lift is nice but not necessary. A service manual is helpful.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:38 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Originally Posted by piasspj
If you have done complete engine swaps on cars, you have what you need for basic service. A jack or lift is nice but not necessary. A service manual is helpful.
Whoops, should have mentioned this... My engine swapping days were before my USMC days. Sold everything I had before I shipped out. I was mentioning the engine swapping because these types of threads usually turn into comparing one's ability to another. I can turn a wrench, just haven't on bikes other than the evo i mentioned.

Also, I have a manual.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:42 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Originally Posted by Woollymonster
Well heck man I was looking online at tools that dealers have to have in order to be certified Harley Dealers and it looks to me that entry level set up is about $40K. So I don't think us shade tree wrenches need all of that to do basic maintenance.

First you will need a good jack. I have had a JS Jacks for over six years now and have been very pleased with it. Some have said the same for Pit Bull jacks. I think both are around $500. Research their websites.

I personally buy a copy of the service manual and electrical manual for each bike. Then, if I want to undertake a project, the manual will tell you what tools you need, i.e. bearing puller and installation tool for a cam change, etc. Then buy or borrow the tools you need.

You can also talk to Indy's and guys like Jamie at Fuel Moto and they can walk you through a lot of things and tell some tools that can be substituted, etc.
yeah, definitely not trying to go all nutso on the tools. Just the basic NEEDS in order to get the job done.

I have a service and electrical manual and also a complete parts manual for my SG. The reason I asked for the help was because I didn't see anywhere in my manuals where it talks about tools needed. I was surprised because thats exactly what I thought it would have had. Maybe I gotta look closer?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 PM
NewAge
Road Master

Originally Posted by checkers
Auto zone $50 blue motorcycle jack, Use KandN oil filter, it has a nut on it and easy to remove, it's a good filter part# K171C for the chrome one, Advance auto, Autozone or Amazon has em around 12 bucks. You will need a set of 3/8" drive socket type torx bits, metric allen, and sae allen's, all 3/8" drive a 1/4" drive socket set, also a metric set and std set of combo wrenchs. As far as oil I use Mobile 1 20w50 V twin syn in all 3 holes, works and easy to remember, this oil avail at Walmart in cycle section, ot Autozone in specilty oil section, or Amazon, about $10/qt. I am sure this will turn into an oil thread, but keep ur eye on the ball guys, also get a good shop repair manual, avoid Clymer, too generic, get the factory one or Haynes
Awesome. Thanks, that's the kinda stuff I was looking for.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:22 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Manual, jack, allen wrenches, torx bits, good sockets and wrenches, torque wrench, lock tite blue, are must haves, credit card optional. Sears or harbor freight sells a decent lift jack for less than a ben. Got mine from harbor over a year ago does a good job. At first it was a bit scary putting my scoot up as there is a rocking motion on the lift. But I was able to make that stable with a smartly placed block of wood. Saving money is a plus, getting to know your ride is vital, your life may depend on it.

Old 10-01-2011, 10:10 PM
baust55
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

with coupon from bike mag you can get a harbor frieght MC jack for $59