Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

front brake question

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 08:53 AM
keith t
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default front brake question

I reccently took my 09 Ultra wheels to an indy for tires, decided to have him replace the bearings and when I got them back and put them on the bike, took a short ride ( 8 miles or so) and the ABS light came on and I could here something dragging. I eventually found out through a dealer, the front caliper and rotor were misaligned because the indy didn't use the ABS bearing up front. Ended up with needeing new rotors on front and here is ther quesiton. With new pads front and rear, the rear wheel rotor turns with no rubbing the pads, but there is some slight dragging on the front. I don't want to toast another set of rotors so is there something I need to do to back the pads off a little or will they adjust on there own? The front wheel will turn but I can hear the slight dragging noise.
Thanks to all with advice

Old 10-02-2011, 09:58 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

There is always some parasitic drag on the pads, because there is nothing to pull the pistons back. As long as the rotors are "true" within spec it should not wear the pads down.

One of the reasons you flush the brake fluid every 2 years is to get rid of any sediment that may have settled to the bottom of the system out, the same sediment that will keep the piston from being able to move back when the pressure is removed when you release the lever.

It also keeps things from rusting/corroding in the caliper.

Check the rubber outer dust seal and remove and dirt, grime, brake dust while you have the calipers off the rotors. When those get gunked up they can mimic a warped rotor and keep the piston from being able to move back that ever so slight amount

Old 10-02-2011, 07:20 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,022 Likes on 1,740 Posts

More importantly, I hope your indy took care of the bill for the parts that needed replacing due to his **** up! Not to mention, maybe choosing a different indy in the future. It ain't rocket science to see which bikes have ABS and which ones don't.

Old 10-02-2011, 08:09 PM
fenderzig
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^^^ Exactly what I was thinking...